Police / Fire


POSTED: Sunday, August 09, 2009

Big Isle pair busted for drugs, guns

Big Island authorities charged a Kailua-Kona couple Friday with drug, firearms and other offenses after more than $222,000 worth of cocaine, crystal methamphetamine and marijuana were seized from their home, police said.

Vice officers served a search warrant on their Ahulani Street home on Wednesday and arrested Darren Ching, 28, and Cherylynn Ching, 21. Police said they recovered 7 pounds of powdered cocaine, 12 grams of crack cocaine, about 10 ounces of “;ice,”; nearly a half-pound of marijuana, four firearms and nearly $6,000 in cash. One of the firearms had been stolen during a burglary, police said.

The couple's 21-month-old boy was turned over to state Child Protective Services. Police said some of the drugs were within reach of the toddler, so the couple was also charged with endangering the welfare of a minor.

Bail was set at $40,500 each.

Man, 80, gets help in escaping fire

Neighbors in a Pearl City apartment complex rescued an 80-year-old man when a fire broke out in his fourth-floor apartment yesterday morning, a fire department spokesman said.

The man was watching television at around 10:43 a.m. when the fire broke out in the living room of his apartment at 950 Lehua Ave.

Neighbors helped the man out of the unit and used a firehose in the complex to battle the fire before the fire department arrived two minutes after the alarm, said fire Capt. Robert Main. The fire was extinguished by 10:50 a.m.

The man was taken to the hospital in stable condition, suffering from smoke inhalation, according to paramedics.

The fire was confined to the man's apartment and caused an estimated $60,000 damage. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Priest, volunteer contain chapel fire

A priest and church volunteer prevented a fire from spreading in Kalaheo's Holy Cross chapel Friday afternoon, according to a Kauai County news release.

The priest and volunteer were working in the rectory when the fire broke out at around 4:23 p.m. They used a fire extinguisher and a garden hose to get the fire under control by the time firefighters arrived at 4:26 p.m. The fire was extinguished four minutes later.

Damage to the chapel and its contents are estimated to be about $120,000. The cause of the fire is undetermined.