Get driver's license first when other IDs are lost


POSTED: Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Question: My boyfriend lost his wallet a few weeks ago. With all forms of identification gone, there is no way to obtain any new forms of ID, including his Social Security card. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: He can start by getting a duplicate driver's license, which doesn't require providing any document if everything's in order.

It's best if he goes in person to a driver's license station so that the city can verify his identity by photo, fingerprints and signature, said Dennis Kamimura, administrator of the Motor Vehicle and Licensing Division.

If he is out-of-state, he can fax a request (808-832-2904) or send a letter (Driver License Section, P.O. Box 30340, Honolulu, HI 96820-0340). The division will verify his identity using his signature, then issue a license with the photo on file.

The letter should include his full name, date of birth, Social Security number and signature. If his signature does not match what's on file, no duplicate license will be issued, Kamimura said.

If no photo is on file, he would be issued a license without a photo, which would be valid, but not accepted as an ID in many instances. The cost for a duplicate is $5.

Armed with the license, he can then get a replacement Social Security card.

Go to the Social Security Administration's Web site—ssa.gov—for information on how to replace a lost or stolen card.

You can replace a card for free, although you might not need a replacement card, according to the administration: “;Knowing your Social Security number is what is important.”;

However, there are circumstances under which you are required to produce a card (including applying for a Hawaii state ID card for the first time, for example).

To get a replacement card, you need to show evidence of your identity. A driver's license would be an acceptable document of proof.

You are limited to three replacement cards a year, or 10 during your lifetime, except for certain circumstances. Legally changing your name, for example, doesn't count toward the limits.

The Social Security Administration warns that it will not take any action on the loss of a card—simply reporting it lost or stolen will not prevent it from being misused. It advises victims to educate themselves about identity theft and to check their credit reports.

See the Federal Trade Commission's Web site on identity theft, www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft.


To a disgusting couple driving an old Toyota Tercel who threw their sofa and seat cushions over the bridge into Manoa Stream at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 30. A passing driver who saw what happened yelled at them. The female passenger proceeded to flip everyone off as the male driver took off. Thankfully, concerned citizens called the police as soon as they saw what they had done. The police apprehended the couple, who were still in Manoa Valley, and made them go back to the scene. They were made to pull the sofa and cushions back up—by themselves—and load it back into their car. Everyone should be aware of this couple who have no regard for the environment or anyone else.—Concerned Citizen

Write to “;Kokua Line”; at Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu 96813; call 529-4773; fax 529-4750; or e-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).