Police and Fire


POSTED: Monday, June 29, 2009

4 charged in robbery; 2 were football all-stars

;  A holdup in which a store worker was threatened with a machete led to charges yesterday against four men, including two former all-star Farrington High School football players.

Two of the men, 18-year-old Kendrick Ngiramau and 19-year-old Skylawn Folaumahina, entered the store about 2:25 p.m. Friday and began chatting with one of the workers, according to police. A third man, who covered his face with a red bandana, entered the store wielding a machete and demanded money from the worker, police said.

The three left the store and the scene in a car driven by a fourth man, police said.

The other two men charged with first-degree robbery are Albert Mason and Aovai Sula, both 20. All four men are being held in lieu of $50,000 bail.

Folaumahina was listed in the Star-Bulletin as an all-star outside linebacker at Farrington High School in 2008. Sula made the honorable mention list in 2005.


Waiakea auto fire believed to have been deliberate

Hawaii island firefighters believe arson may have been the cause of a car fire yesterday in Waiakea.

Firefighters responding to a 10:20 a.m. call on residential property at Mililani and Lanikaula streets found a 1990 Honda sedan engulfed in flames, a department news release said.

The owner of the car was unknown. No one was hurt in the fire.


Kauai fishermen leave boat on reef after it capsizes

Two Kauai fishermen swam to safety after their fishing boat overturned yesterday morning off the coast of Kekaha.

About 4 p.m. Saturday, the Kekaha man and his friend went fishing in a 12- to 14-foot Livingston boat. They were returning when the boat capsized at 4 in the morning.

After swimming to shore, the Kekaha man went to the Kikiaola Boat Harbor and his friend drove home.

About 7:10 a.m., a caller reported the boat stuck in the reef about 350 yards from shore, prompting a response from the Kauai Fire Department, Police Department, Coast Guard and a good Samaritan.

The search was called off after the man saw emergency vehicles in the area and told police that he was OK.