Call police if you see animals being abused


POSTED: Thursday, June 18, 2009

Question: I recently saw a man punching a dog along the roadside in Kailua. What could I have done to help the animal?

Answer: While your immediate response might be to intervene, your safety must come first. Violence against animals can quickly escalate to human-to-human violence. Remain at a safe distance and call 911 immediately, as the police have units in your neighborhood for the fastest emergency response. Get a detailed description of the abuser and the dog. Note the license plate if he has a vehicle. Take photos if you have a camera handy. Again, if you are in a safe distance from the attack, you can call out to the man to let him know the police are on their way.