Police / Fire


POSTED: Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cause of death unknown for woman found on trail

The Medical Examiner's Office has been unable to determine the cause and manner of death of Gail Yoshida, who was missing in May after going hiking on a Pearl City trail.

Yoshida disappeared after she went for a walk with her dog, Maile, on May 3. Her body was found May 13 after search crews renewed efforts to look for her following her dog's appearance from the Waimano Trail hours earlier.

The Medical Examiner's Office said the 64-year-old Pearl City woman's remains were decomposed, which made it difficult to determine the cause of death. Dr. Gayle Suzuki estimated she had been dead between three to five days when she was found.

Child playing with lighter sparked blaze in Waipahu

A Waipahu apartment fire Friday, which displaced 12 people, was caused by a child playing with a lighter, fire investigators determined.

The fire originated in the bedroom and caused $150,000 in damage to the contents of the unit of origin and the unit above, said fire Capt. Terry Seelig.

The fire was reported at 8:09 p.m. at 94-305 Pupuole St., where a family of three adults, six teens and three children lived.

Police officer arrested in alleged abuse of girlfriend

A Windward Oahu police officer in his mid-40s was arrested early Monday morning for allegedly slapping his girlfriend on three separate occasions within a four-hour period.

The abuse began at Porky's Bar in Kailua and ended at their Kailua home, police said.

At Porky's just before midnight Sunday, police said, an altercation occurred in which the woman suffered minor injuries at the hand of the officer. Police said the officer slapped her.

The couple then went home, where they began arguing about two hours later—and he slapped her again, police said. A third argument erupted about two hours after that, and the officer once again slapped his girlfriend.

He was arrested Monday on three counts of abuse of a household member and charged.

The officer posted bail and was released.

Police said the officer was relieved of police authority, had his gun and badge taken and has been relegated to desk duty while the case is being investigated.

The officer, who serves in Windward Oahu and works out of both Kailua and Kaneohe stations, has more than 10 years of service with the department.