Police and Fire


POSTED: Monday, June 01, 2009

Manoa man dies in swimming pool

Firefighters pulled a 31-year-old man from a private swimming pool in Manoa yesterday evening.

Emergency Medical Services pronounced the man dead at the scene.

Fire Capt. Robert Main said firefighters were called at 6:14 p.m. to a drowning on Armstrong Street. They arrived a couple of minutes before the medical service personnel, who made the death pronouncement.

Police are investigating the cause of the death, which was classified yesterday as an unattended death.


Woman struck on head by bottle

Police are looking for a suspect or suspects who dropped or threw a bottle early yesterday morning from a Waikiki hotel and hit a 51-year-old woman, officials said.

Police have opened up a second-degree attempted-murder case.

The woman was walking along a Waikiki sidewalk at 12:16 a.m. yesterday when she was struck on the head by a bottle, which appeared to have come from a nearby hotel, police said.

She was taken to the Queen's Medical Center in serious condition with a head injury.


Friends pull diver from rough surf

A 59-year-old diver was in critical condition Saturday after his friends pulled him out of rough water at Laupahoehoe Point, the Hawaii County Fire Department said in a news release.

The man was diving with friends and began to struggle in the rough surf, the department said.

The friends brought him to a rocky shore, where bystanders began cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

Twelve firefighters responded to the 10 a.m. alarm and were on scene at 10:14.

The man was lifted by a net, then taken in critical condition by the Honokaa Medic Unit to Hilo Medical Center.


Two arrested in pellet-gun shootings

Two men, 21, were arrested in connection with pellet-gun shooting incidents in Mililani and Wahiawa Friday night.

The men are accused of firing a pellet gun at three women and three men in Mililani and Wahiawa. Both incidents took place at about 8:15 p.m.

The suspects shot a pellet gun at one of the victims and hit a store, causing damage, police said. The two men were arrested on charges of assault, reckless endangering and criminal property damage. Two pellet pistols were recovered, police said.

The men had not been charged as of last night.