Police / Fire


POSTED: Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Man dies in fall from horse at park

A crew aboard a Maui fire rescue helicopter will try today to retrieve the body of a man who died yesterday after falling from a horse in Haleakala National Park.

The weather was too dangerous to allow a safe retrieval of the body yesterday, said county spokeswoman Mahina Martin.

County emergency workers received a call a little after noon yesterday, she said. A park ranger confirmed the man appeared to have fallen off a horse while riding on a trail.

Martin said rangers are conducting an investigation.

Boy rescued from Big Island gulch

A 9-year-old Big Island boy was rescued yesterday after falling down a 100-foot gulch inland from Laupahoehoe.

Fire rescue workers were called at 11:31 a.m. to the Old Mamalahoa Highway at Kaula Gulch. Fire equipment operator Mark Ignacio said the boy was walking with his parents, who live in Ookala, when he went onto the edge of the roadway and slid down a 100-foot embankment.

Ignacio said rescuers strapped the child to a rescue board and lifted him up by rope. He said at the time of the rescue that the injuries did not appear to be life-threatening and that the boy was in stable condition.

Internet date ends in man's arrest

Police arrested a 37-year-old man with no local address Sunday night, accused of trying to entice for sex a female he thought was a 14-year-old girl he met on the Internet. Instead, he had been online with investigators, police said.

Police said the man showed up 7:07 p.m. Sunday at the designated location, 2777 Kalakaua Ave., to have sex with the girl and was met by officers. He was arrested on suspicion of first-degree electronic enticement of a child.

Fake money lands woman in trouble

A 57-year-old woman was arrested after she asked a Kalihi retail store clerk whether the $100 bill she had was real, police said.

The woman entered the store at 7:35 a.m. last Tuesday and asked whether the clerk thought the bill was real. The clerk replied it appeared to be a fake.

The woman wanted the bill back, but the clerk told her the store would hold onto it and called police. The woman left the store but police found her nearby. She was arrested on suspicion of first-degree forgery and on a contempt warrant.