Quantcast
StarBulletin.com

Police / Fire


By

POSTED: Saturday, May 09, 2009

House fire originated in wastebasket

A Hawaii Kai house fire on Monday was likely caused by smoking material thrown into a bedroom wastebasket, the Fire Department said in a news release.

The blaze caused an estimated $330,000 in damage to the three-bedroom Anapalau Street house.

A 64-year-old woman was injured trying to control the fire, but her 87-year-old mother escaped safely.

The house was equipped with two smoke alarms, but they had no batteries, the department said.

 

Burner left on caused restaurant fire

Fire investigators have found that the April 13 fire at Bob's Big Boy in Mapunapuna was probably caused by a grill burner that had been accidentally been left on after cleaning, according to a Fire Department news release.

The fire at 2828 Paa St. caused an estimated $1 million damage to the structure and $500,000 to its contents. The popular restaurant has been closed since the fire.

 

Suspect is arrested in home invasion

Police arrested a 25-year-old man Thursday in connection with a Wahiawa home invasion robbery.

Police said the man allegedly entered the home and pointed a handgun at several people.

The victims include two women, ages 24 and 25, and two men, ages 25 and 39.

The man allegedly took a purse with money and jewelry and then fled in a waiting vehicle, police said.

The car had been reported stolen and was later found, police said.

The suspect was identified and arrested on two counts of first-degree robbery, first-degree terroristic threatening and unauthorized control of a propelled vehicle.

 

Woman shot in foot during argument

A 29-year-old woman was shot in the foot during an argument Thursday night with a group of females at Kahe Point Beach Park, police said.

The woman had gotten into an argument with the group at about 11:30 p.m. when a loud bang was heard, causing everyone to scatter, police said.

The woman got into a vehicle and found she had been shot in the foot, police said.

The woman went to a hospital for treatment and was last reported in good condition, police said.

 

———

Star-Bulletin staff