Registries track purebreds show dogs


POSTED: Friday, April 24, 2009

Question: We recently bought a purebred, and we'd like to get involved in dog shows. What's the difference between AKC and UKC papers?

Answer: If you are a dog fancier or intend to participate in purebred canine shows and events, you'll need to register your dog with a reputable all-breed registry. All of Hawaii's dog competition events are sponsored by the American Kennel Club. United Kennel Club has a bigger presence on the mainland.

The AKC maintains a registry for purebreds, recording the parentage of more than 1 million dogs annually in 157 breeds. The UKC registers more than 250,000 dogs annually and recognizes 300 breeds.