Police / Fire


POSTED: Monday, April 20, 2009

Crash kills Keaau woman

Speed was a factor yesterday in a single-car crash that killed a 20-year-old woman on the Big Island, a county news release said. Police identified the woman as Doreen T.H. Kalina of Keaau.

Kalina was driving east on Paradise Drive about 6:35 a.m. when she lost control of the Chrysler sedan near 25th Avenue. The car crossed the center line and smashed broadside into a utility pole in the Hawaiian Paradise Park Subdivision.

Firefighters had to get her out of fallen power lines. A 19-year-old man in the passenger seat refused medical treatment.

Kalina was pronounced dead at 9:05 a.m. at the Hilo Medical Center.

Anyone with information on the crash is asked to call Big Island officer Robert Pauole at (808) 961-8119.

The crash was not included in the county's traffic fatality count because it occurred on a private road.

Tourist found in water dies

A 61-year-old tourist from Minnesota apparently drowned yesterday while swimming at Ko Olina, officials said.

The Honolulu Medical Examiner's office identified the woman as Christine Christensen of Lakeville.

Firefighters received a call at 12:23 p.m. about a near-drowning at Ko Olina Cove 2.

A bystander thought the woman was snorkeling but called security after she didn't move, said Honolulu Fire Capt. Earle Kealoha.

Firefighters arrived to find security performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the woman. She was taken to Hawaii Medical Center West in critical condition.

An autopsy has been scheduled for today.

Man injured in bat attack

Geremio Olson, 26, of Aiea was charged Saturday with second-degree assault and first-degree terroristic threatening for allegedly hitting another man with a bat.

Police report Olson threatened the man, 23, with a bat during an argument at a home in the Honolulu area. The complainant left, then returned for some personal items.

Olson allegedly struck him on the hand with the bat, causing minor injuries that required treatment at a hospital. Olson is being held at the police cellblock in lieu of $11,000 bail.