Police and Fire


POSTED: Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Motorcyclist in collision suffers heart attack later

A 32-year-old man died yesterday after his motorcycle collided with a utility vehicle at an intersection about a mile from Barbers Point Beach. He was not immediately killed, but had a heart attack while en route to a hospital.

The motorcyclist was driving north on Kalaeloa Boulevard when the vehicle being driven south by a 54-year-old man made a left turn onto Kauhi Street at about 1:30 p.m. yesterday.

His death was the 22nd fatality this year on Oahu, compared with 12 last year.

Punchbowl area resident jailed after tense standoff

;[Preview]    Man In Custody After Punchbowl Standoff

44 year old Phouc Chi Truong was taken in for multiple counts of terroristic threatening and criminal property damage.



Police arrested a 44-year-old man early yesterday morning in the Punchbowl area after he allegedly threw beer bottles and a knife, threatened neighbors and responding police officers, and barricaded himself in his apartment.

Police said the man began threatening neighbors and throwing beer bottles at about 10:20 p.m. at his 108 S. Kuakini St. apartment.

The man surrendered several hours later, police said. He was arrested at 1:18 a.m. yesterday on suspicion of three counts of first-degree terroristic threatening and two counts of second-degree terroristic threatening.

Wind fuels stubborn brush fire in Lualualei

Swirling winds made it difficult last night for firefighters to control a Leeward brush fire. No homes were threatened, but officials closed Lualualei Naval Access Road to traffic while crews from 11 Honolulu Fire Department companies and four federal fire department units joined forces to try to bring the blaze under control.

“;A flank of the fire is moving up the hillside, and winds are changing directions,”; said fire Capt. Terry Seelig.

Altogether, 60 firefighters fought the fire on the ground in addition to the Fire Department helicopter.

Seelig said firefighters were doing a watch last night because the fire was in an inaccessible area. The fire was reported at 5:15 p.m. and had burned about 200 acres by 6:30 p.m.