Police / Fire


POSTED: Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Man arrested in Chinatown shooting

Police arrested a 21-year-old man yesterday evening on Lipoa Place in Aiea on suspicion of second-degree murder in connection with the shooting death of a 35-year-old Kalihi man in Chinatown Saturday.

The Medical Examiner's Office identified the victim as Joseph Maululu Peneueta.

Peneueta bled to death from multiple internal injuries due to shotgun and gunshot wounds, the Medical Examiner's Office said.

Peneueta was standing near River and North Pauahi streets when he got into an argument with two men in a blue four-door sedan, police said. The two men got out of the car and allegedly shot him in the back as he was crossing the street, police said.

Peneueta had been convicted of first-degree assault in February 1994, felony drug charges in May 1998, violating parole September 2002, and lesser charges.

Anyone who witnessed the shooting at 4:15 a.m. Saturday is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or *CRIME on a cell phone.



Electrocuted man, 42, is identified

The man electrocuted Feb. 18 was identified by the Medical Examiner's Office as Michael L. Perron Jr., 42, of Honolulu.

Perron died of cardiac arrhythmia due to low-voltage electrocution, the Medical Examiner's Office said.

Perron was stepping on the iron cover of an electrical junction box on the sidewalk of Kapiolani Boulevard near University Avenue at 9:30 p.m. Feb. 18 when he touched a metal street light pole and received an electrical shock, a witness told police.



2 Big Island kayakers rescued by copters

Big Island rescue crews airlifted two kayakers Sunday from waters off Lapakahi State Park in North Kohala, according to a Hawaii County news release.

Rescue officials used two helicopters in the operation. The first chopper found the kayak with two people aboard about a mile offshore in rough seas with approximately 40 mph winds, the release said.

The first chopper kept the kayakers in sight until a second chopper arrived and airlifted the kayakers to safety. Neither of the kayakers required medical attention, the release said.