Last election's voters qualify for Council vote


POSTED: Thursday, March 26, 2009

Question: It seems I'm not very akamai. Were we supposed to register for the special election to replace Barbara Marshall on the City Council, even though we voted in the last election? I'm getting that message with all the fuss being made in the news about Tuesday being the last day to register. If that is so, I'm terribly disappointed because I had no idea that's what we were supposed to do, and now my vote might be lost.

Answer: If you voted in the last election or were already registered to vote, you are good to go in the special election, said Glen Takahashi, the city's election administrator.

The March 24 deadline was for people who were not previously registered.

All residents registered to vote in Council District 3 will be mailed an election packet containing the ballot and return envelope.

The packets will be mailed next week; the deadline to return them is April 23.

District 3 voters are encouraged to mail in their ballots, Takahashi said.

Those who might need help in voting because of a disability may utilize “;accessible voting devices”; set up at two locations: City Hall and the Pali Golf Course clubhouse. Walk-in voting will be held from April 6 to 21.

Eleven people are running to replace Marshall, who died of cancer on Feb. 22.

Whoever gets the most votes will win, Takahashi said. “;It's a winner-take-all”; election.

Q: There is a company that advertises roof solar fan installations for $992 upfront, and they claim that at tax time the federal government will give you a $270 tax credit and the Hawaii state government will give you a $332.15 credit, leaving you with a net cost of $389.85. How true is this?

A: If the math works out to a 30 percent federal tax credit and a 35 percent state tax credit, then it's true.

You can receive a 35 percent Hawaii Energy Tax Credit on your income tax for the cost of equipment and installation of a solar thermal or photovoltaic system.

For residential installations, credits are capped at $2,250 for a single family home/hot water system, $5,000 for a single-family home/photovoltaic system and $350 for multifamily dwelling/hot water and photovoltaic systems.

The tax credit is applied to your net income tax liability for the year in which the solar system was purchased and installed. You can only claim the credit if you owe taxes, and it is not refundable if you don't have a tax liability.

For more information, check the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism's Web site, hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/energy/renewable/solar.

Meanwhile, Congress extended last year the 30 percent federal investment tax credit for both residential and commercial solar installations for eight more years, until 2016.

You need to fill out Form 5695 to get the “;Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit.”;


Write to “;Kokua Line”; at Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu 96813; call 529-4773; fax 529-4750; or e-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).