Police and Fire


POSTED: Monday, March 16, 2009

Search off Kauai for surfer is ended


Firefighters ended yesterday a three-day search for a missing surfer last seen off the northern coast of Kauai.

Aaron Lamson, 34, of Moloaa lost his surfboard Friday at 1:41 p.m. at a place called “;Crack 14”; off Anahola, a Kauai County news release said.

He has not been seen since, the release said.

Firefighters and rescue specialists searched by watercraft and helicopter while ground crews searched the shoreline from Anahola to Kapaa swimming pool.

A Coast Guard C-130 plane and helicopter searched 200 square miles of ocean.

A Coast Guard spokesman said that what appeared to be the man's body was spotted Saturday in the area he was last seen. Rough seas prevented a Coast Guard boat from reaching the site.

Kauai fire Chief Robert Westerman said firefighters will resume the search if new information becomes available.


Police catch man after burglaries

Big Island police arrested a 20-year-old man Friday who evaded capture at Boiling Pots State Park.

Safune Kaleo Pola was found in Hilo and booked at 8:20 a.m. without incident. On Thursday he had eluded officers' attempts to capture him. He was wanted for questioning in connection with several burglaries in Hilo.


Clues are sought in missing-girl case


Kauai police have asked for the public's help in finding a missing teenage girl.

According to police, Kehaunani Kahalewai left home Tuesday and has not been seen since.

She is thought to be on the west side of the island, possibly staying with a friend, police said.

She is described as 5 feet 5 inches tall, 145 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. She also has a tattoo of a mokihana lei and a dream catcher on her lower right leg and a partial butterfly on her left shoulder.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is urged to call the police at 241-1696 or 241-1711 or CrimeStoppers at 241-1887.


Man, 53, allegedly punches officer

Police arrested a 53-year-old homeless man yesterday who allegedly punched a police officer that was escorting him off private property.

At about 3 p.m. officers responded after the intoxicated man refused to leave a house on Bell Street in Waimanalo, police said. The man then punched one of the officers in the right cheek.

Police arrested the man on suspicion of first-degree assault on a police officer.


2 teens arrested after sex assault

Police arrested two teenagers yesterday who allegedly drugged and assaulted a 12-year-old girl in Wahiawa.

Police said the victim reported being sexually assaulted by her relatives, a 19-year-old man and a 15-year-old boy, on the morning of Feb. 2.

The teenagers were booked on suspicion of first-degree sexual assault.


Woman arrested after attack on man

A 38-year-old Salt Lake woman was arrested Saturday on suspicion of beating a 46-year-old man and causing gashes to his face, police said.

At 9:05 p.m. Saturday, the woman repeatedly punched the man in the face at her Kohomua Street home, police said. She was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault.

The man was taken to the hospital and found to have two deep lacerations on his face.


Crew rescues man injured from fall

Firefighters rescued a 30-year-old man who fell off a rope yesterday on a Kalihi trail and hurt his lower back.

The man had been swinging on a rope when he fell at about 3:25 p.m.

He could not walk out of the trail from “;Ice Pond”; after the accident, said Honolulu fire Capt. Robert Main.

A fire helicopter airlifted the man to Likelike Highway, and firefighters shut down both directions of the highway for a few minutes to transfer the man to paramedics. He was taken to a hospital at 4:45 p.m.