Police / Fire


POSTED: Wednesday, February 25, 2009


Stubborn brush fire extinguished

Firefighters contained a 35-acre brush fire in Waiawa Valley yesterday afternoon with the help of Army National Guard and police helicopters.

The fire was contained at 4:30 p.m. yesterday, and was in the back of the valley between Pacific Palisades and the Waiawa Correctional Facility, but did not get close to any structures.

The blaze was moving southeast, putting the National Guard's Armory and the Pearl City Industrial Park in its path.

The fire had begun Monday afternoon in terrain that was steep and uneven, fire Capt. Terry Seelig said.

Honolulu Fire Department's helicopter, Air 1, was up for aerial observation and preparing for water drops between 6 and 7 p.m. Monday, when an indicator light came on and the pilot had to make a precautionary landing.

Seelig said there were no injuries or damage.

The helicopter was hauled by truck to the airport hangar for repair. The department's other helicopter was out for scheduled maintenance that day.

Four HFD companies and two federal fire companies battled the blaze from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Army National Guard dispatched two helicopters, and the Police Department sent one out to make water drops.



Boy, 17, accused of sexual assault

Police arrested a 17-year-old boy for allegedly sexually assaulting an 11-year-old girl in September.

The boy was arrested on suspicion of two counts of first-degree sexual assault and one count of third-degree sexual assault. He was released Monday pending investigation.

The girl alleged the boy sexually assaulted her between Sept. 22 and 25 near Ala Moana.


Kapolei man was H-1 crash victim

A motorcyclist who died Sunday after crashing on H-1 freeway has been identified as Willie Davis, 35, of Kapolei.

Police said that just after 4 p.m. Sunday, Davis was traveling more than 100 mph on a 2008 Suzuki motorcycle in the Waianae-bound lanes near the 7th Avenue overpass when he lost control of the bike, slammed into a guardrail and was thrown onto the roadway.

Police said Davis was then hit by a car. He was taken in critical condition to the Queen's Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 5:06 p.m. He died of multiple traumatic injuries from the crash, said the city Medical Examiner's Office.


Man, 35, accused of assaulting wife

A 35-year-old Salt Lake man was arrested early yesterday morning for allegedly holding his wife captive in their home and sexually assaulting her.

Police arrested the man on suspicion of kidnapping and three counts of first-degree sexual assault. He was also arrested on two contempt warrants.

Police located the man at their Ala Kapuna Street home at 2:30 a.m. and arrested him.



Man allegedly abused boy, 15

A 28-year-old Waipio man was arrested yesterday for allegedly using nude photos of a 15-year-old boy to obtain sexual favors from him.

Police arrested the man yesterday morning on suspicion of first-degree electronic enticement of a minor, two counts of first-degree promotion of child abuse and two counts of second-degree extortion.

Police said the boy communicated with the man from September 2007 to November 2007 through a popular online Web site. The man allegedly convinced the boy to provide nude photos of himself, and allegedly used those photos against him in exchange for sexual favors, police said.

Police said the scene of the alleged crimes was in Kapolei.



Video captures alleged vandalism

Police arrested a 17-year-old boy for allegedly vandalizing a North Shore store.

Police said that about 10:30 p.m. Feb. 12, a video surveillance camera recorded images of the suspect etching graffiti into a plate glass window of the store. Police said the suspect did not know he was being recorded.

Yesterday, an officer who viewed the surveillance recording recognized the suspect. The boy was arrested on suspicion of second-degree criminal property damage.