Police / Fire


POSTED: Sunday, February 22, 2009


Crews find hiker on Manana Trail

Firefighters rescued a man lost on Manana Trail in Pearl City last night.

The hiker's sister called for help from the trailhead at the end of Komo Mai Drive in Pacific Palisades shortly after 6 p.m., officials said.

The fire department's Air One helicopter responded to the call, but a fire crew walked on the trail and found the hiker, said Honolulu fire Capt. Earle Kealoha.

The crew was escorting the man out at about 8 p.m. He was not injured.



Guard prevents jewelry heist

A security guard thwarted a robbery attempt at a jewelry store yesterday, police said.

Police said that at about 10:15 a.m., a man entered a jewelry store near Ala Moana and asked to see several expensive watches. He tried on a watch and then tried to leave, police said.

A guard stopped the man and the two struggled, police said.

During the fight, the suspect tried to pull out a knife from his waistband, but the security officer disarmed him, police said.

The suspect broke free and fled on foot.

He wasn't identified or arrested. Police opened an attempted first-degree robbery case.



Police arrest man after bottle attack

Police arrested a 42-year-old man for allegedly hitting another man with a beer bottle.

Police said that at about 9 p.m. Friday, a 48-year-old man was in his room at his Kawaihae Street home in Hawaii Kai. The suspect, a man whom the victim lives with, entered the room and allegedly hit the victim's head with a beer bottle.

The suspect fled, but later returned and was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault.

The victim suffered minor lacerations but refused medical treatment.



Infant in custody after car hits her

State child protective services took an infant into custody yesterday after she was hit by a car in Kona, Honolulu police said.

The 20-month-old girl was flown to a Honolulu hospital Friday for treatment after the accident, police said. Further details about the accident were not available.

Kona child protective services called child welfare services in Honolulu and asked them to take the girl into custody, police said.

While the child was being treated at the hospital, medical staff found scarring, indicating wounds that had not previously been reported, police said.