Police / Fire


POSTED: Wednesday, February 18, 2009

5 youths arrested after school fight

Police arrested five juveniles after a fight at Waianae High School yesterday.

About 11:12 a.m., a fight broke out among about 15 people at the school at 85-251 Farrington Highway. Sgt. Kyle Yonemura of the Waianae Police Station said four males and one female were arrested on suspicion of assault in the third degree, a misdemeanor. Ages of the juveniles were not available.

Police said one person who was a suspect in an earlier fight on campus was a victim in the second fight. The first fight was believed to have led to the second fight when the male was attacked by other juveniles.

Yonemura said he was taken to Waianae Coast Comprehensive Center for minor injuries.

The school remained in lockdown for about an hour.


Drunken driver rams teen's car

Police arrested a 55-year-old man after he allegedly rammed his car into a teenager's vehicle while drunk.

Police said that about 8:15 p.m. Monday, the suspect got into his vehicle after drinking in Kailua. He rammed a car driven by a 17-year-old boy several times, police said.

Police arrested the man on suspicion of first-degree criminal property damage and driving under the influence of an intoxicant.



Suspect in robbery turns himself in

A 26-year-old man wanted for allegedly robbing an Ewa Beach restaurant turned himself in to police yesterday.

Police said the Kalihi man entered the diner at 1:11 p.m. Monday brandishing a knife. He reached into the cash register, took an undisclosed amount of money and fled, police said.

He was arrested for suspicion of first-degree robbery.


4-year-old reports sex assault by boys

Two boys, ages 15 and 7, allegedly sexually assaulted a 4-year-old boy Saturday in Ewa Beach.

The 4-year-old reported he was assaulted by the boys, police said, but they have not been arrested, police said yesterday. Officers still need to interview the 4-year-old, police said yesterday.

The case has been classified as first-degree sexual assault, and allegedly occurred between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, police said. Police would not divulge the relationship of the suspects to the victim, saying that the investigation is ongoing.



6 homeless after fire destroys home

Fire destroyed a house in Maili yesterday, leaving a family of six homeless.

Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said three of the four children were at home at the time of the fire yesterday, but all got out safely. One was a teenager and two were younger children, Seelig said.

Firefighters arrived within six minutes of the 2:38 p.m. alarm and found the house at 87-908 Hookele Place in flames, Seelig said. Damage was estimated at $225,000, and the cause is still under investigation, he said.

The Red Cross is assisting the family of two adults and four children with their needs.



Residents put out blaze at apartment

Two Punchbowl men who found a fire on their balcony put the blaze out with a fire extinguisher and a hose, said fire Capt. Terry Seelig.

The fire apparently began in a storage shed on the apartment's lanai.

Neighbors heard a loud, explosive noise at the Bel Air Plaza building at 1054 Green St., Seelig said. When firefighters arrived, the fire was extinguished on the eighth-floor unit of the eight-story building.

The fire may have started inside the shed, possibly involving paints, aerosol containers or 16-ounce propane cylinders stored inside. The fire investigator was unable to determine the exact cause of the fire.

One of the residents received minor burns from radiated heat, much like a strong sunburn, to the side of his face from getting close to the fire. Paramedics looked at him, but he refused treatment.

The fire did an estimated $2,000 damage to the building.



Ill Big Isle woman is flown to Oahu

A Coast Guard crew evacuated an ill 58-year-old woman from the Big Island to Oahu yesterday.

The Coast Guard said the woman was suffering from chest pains yesterday morning, and the Health Department contacted the Coast Guard.

A C-130 plane from Barbers Point Air Station flew to Hilo Airport at 2 p.m., picked up the woman and transported her to Barbers Point. She was transferred at 5:20 p.m. to a waiting ambulance, which took her to the Queen's Medical Center.

A Coast Guard flight surgeon, a state Health Department doctor and Coast Guard personnel coordinated the rescue.