Accused attacker makes first appearance at court


POSTED: Friday, February 06, 2009

There were 11 stab wounds in his neck, face, scalp, chest, both hands and abdomen.

But the list of injuries goes on for the second victim of Sunday's Koko Crater stabbing. He also had skull and neck fractures, liver and diaphragm lacerations and a collapsed lung. His face is permanently disfigured, and he suffered tearing and injuries of his esophagus, intestines and other internal organs.

The victim was able to identify 19-year-old Benjamin Davis as his attacker, according to police. Beyond that, however, police have been unable to interview him for further statements because of his injuries.

“;Death would have been certain without intervention,”; according to a police affidavit citing the Queen's Medical Center doctor who treated the second victim. The victim remains in critical but stable condition.

Davis, whom family and friends said was given crystal methamphetamine before the incident, made his first appearance in District Court yesterday.

Davis is accused of stabbing two people at Koko Crater Sunday afternoon. He appeared in court in chains, with bandaged hands and wearing hospital scrubs and an occasional smile.

At about 3:18 p.m. Sunday, Guy Tanaka was at the top of the Koko Crater helicopter landing pad when he was allegedly attacked by Davis, who had a “;blank stare”; on his face. Davis was wielding a folding knife with a 4- to 5-inch blade.

Tanaka was stabbed in the back as he fled. He told police there was another man on the landing pad, later identified as the second victim.

Witnesses in the area said they heard two voices on the landing pad. One voice sounded angry and said, “;You mother—, you set me up.”;

Another voice said, “;Are you happy now? I'm going to die.”;

Police said there is no indication the victim and Davis knew each other before the incident.

Witnesses saw the second victim in the ravine, calling for help. He was airlifted out of the area.

Police searched for almost four hours in Hawaii Kai before they found Davis, naked except for a black sneaker on his left foot and a black sock on his right.

“;I want to turn myself in,”; Davis told police. “;I'm done.”;

Davis said he dropped the knife in the mountains. Police were unable to recover the weapon.

Davis was taken to Castle Medical Center for mental evaluation. Police described him as calm and coherent, responding to questions in a rational manner. He was released back into police custody.

Davis is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Monday morning in District Court. His bail of $100,000 was confirmed yesterday, and he remains in custody.