Car transaction with HPD officer elicits complaint


POSTED: Thursday, November 20, 2008

Question: I bought a vehicle from a Honolulu police officer and his wife, who had advertised on Craigslist. After I bought the car and registered with my insurance company, I was told that it was not the top-of-the-line model I was led to believe it was. I felt cheated. I called the sellers, and they told me sorry, the deal is over, even though he admitted he put the wrong information in the ad. The actual transaction was done in the lobby of an HPD station. Can I file a complaint to his watch commander or HPD Internal Affairs? He is a public servant and should set a better example for the community.

Answer: You can file a complaint with HPD's Internal Affairs Division if it involves off-duty conduct by an officer, on-duty conduct past 60 days from the incident, criminal activity or civilian employees of the department.

Internal Affairs also will investigate alleged violations of HPD's Standards of Conduct.

It's not clear whether your case would be subject to investigation, said HPD Capt. Tom Grossi, of Internal Affairs. It could be more of a civil dispute.

An example of off-duty conduct that would be looked into is a fight with a neighbor, Grossi said.

He recommended calling Internal Affairs at 529-3286 or sending a letter to Honolulu Police Department, Attention: Internal Affairs, 801 S. Beretania St., Honolulu 96813.

If you do end up filing a formal complaint, you are required to submit a notarized statement. You can get a notarized statement on your own and mail it in, or you can show up in person at HPD's headquarters at 801 S. Beretania and an Internal Affairs detective will take your statement and have it notarized. You should bring a photo ID.

Meanwhile, the Honolulu Police Commission investigates complaints against an officer's conduct while on duty and within 60 days of the date of the incident.

To contact the commission, call 723-7580 or send a letter to 1060 Richards St., Suite 170, Honolulu HI 96813.

For more information, go to www.honolulupd.org/abouthpd/complaint.htm.

Q: I am sitting at the bus stop near the Central Fire Station on South Beretania Street. On some days a firetruck exits on a emergency call. The four-way flashing red light that hangs from the street light pole at the corner of Beretania and Bishop streets only flashes one red light. Who is the proper contact person to have the repairs made so that all four red lights are functioning?

A: You can report problems under the city's jurisdiction to the city Department of Customer Services online at www.honolulu.gov/csd/publiccom/fixit.htm; via letter sent to the department at 530 S. King St., Room 302-A, Honolulu HI 96813; in an e-mail to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address); or by calling 768-4381.


Free Wheelchair

I have a free electrical wheelchair scooter (Invacare Panther LS-4), 5 years old, seldom used, but it needs a new battery. Comes apart, heavy but great for outdoor use. I also have a portable steel wheelchair ramp for a van. I will give it to anyone who needs either, but you have to come and pick it up.—Di

Call 239-6999 or e-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).