Police / Fire


POSTED: Monday, October 20, 2008

Drowned snorkeler from N.J.

Big Island police yesterday identified the 40-year-old man who apparently drowned while snorkeling with his wife off Punaluu Beach park as Edward R. McCarthy-Slaughter of Hasbrouck Heights, N.J.

McCarthy-Slaughter was caught in high surf and tried to return to shore with his wife at about noon, but did not make it. His wife made it back.

Bystanders helped bring McCarthy-Slaughter in after he was spotted 30 yards out along the south end of Punaluu Beach. He was taken to the Kona Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.


Hit-and-run crash breaks boy's leg

Police want help finding a hit-and-run driver who struck a 14-year-old Kapolei boy on Saturday, leaving him with a broken left leg.

At 6:32 p.m., a Ford F-350 hit the boy on a skateboard in a crosswalk on Farrington Highway, 43 feet east of Waiomea Street, police said.

A witness walking behind the boy told police that they had the walk signal when the truck sideswiped the boy in the westbound direction and fled, police said.

Police said the pickup had a silver-colored engine crane device in the truck bed. The rearview mirror on the passenger side was damaged in the collision.

Anyone with information is asked to call the police Traffic Division at 529-3499 or CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or *CRIME from a cellular phone.


Aiea woman dies in 1-car accident

A 76-year-old Aiea woman died last night following a single-car crash in Halawa Heights.

Police said the woman was making a right turn from Pualaa Street to Ulune Street in a 2008 Toyota at about 6 p.m. when she hit a retaining wall.

The woman was taken to the Queen's Medical Center in serious condition, but her condition worsened and she died at about 9 p.m. Police said the woman was wearing a seat belt and that speed, alcohol and drugs were not factors in the crash.

Marine arrested after vehicle crash

Police yesterday arrested a Kaneohe Marine who allegedly broke into a Kakaako business and crashed a stolen vehicle.

At about 4:30 a.m., the man, 19, allegedly scaled the roof of the business, entered an unlocked door, stole a vehicle in the warehouse and crashed it through the bay doors.

The man fled after hitting another vehicle outside the business, police said.

Police arrested him after a brief struggle and said he appeared intoxicated.


Man allegedly threatens officer

Police arrested a 23-year-old man yesterday who allegedly threatened to kill a police officer during a Waikiki brawl.

According to police, at about 4 a.m. a 27-year-old police officer witnessed 10 to 12 people fighting amid a crowd of up to 60 people fronting the Waikiki Trade Center at 2255 Kuhio Ave.

In an attempt to disperse the crowd, the police officer sprayed it twice with pepper spray. The suspect, who was hit by the spray, told the officer that he would “;murder”; him, police said. Police arrested the man, of no local address, on suspicion of first-degree terroristic threatening and harassment.