Police / Fire


POSTED: Wednesday, October 01, 2008


Man nearly drowns at Gas Chambers

A male surfer in his 20s was taken by ambulance to the hospital in critical condition this morning after a near-drowning on the North Shore, an Emergency Medical Services spokesman said.

EMS spokesman Bryan Cheplic said the incident happened at 6:40 a.m. at the surf spot known as Gas Chambers between Pupukea and Rocky Point.

Surf was between four to eight feet, according to the National Weather Service.



Man robs 3 people at gunpoint in Aiea

Police are looking for a man who allegedly robbed three people at gunpoint an Aiea hotel.

About 11:30 p.m. Monday, a 30-year-old man and two 21-year-old women entered a hotel room at the Harbor Shores Hotel. The suspect entered the room immediately after the door was closed.

The suspect wore a baseball cap and a red bandana covering his face, and had a handgun. Police said the suspect told all three people to lie on the floor.

He struck the man in the head with the gun, and handcuffed one of the women, demanding money, according to police. A 32-year-old man who was in a bedroom locked his door and called police.

The suspect, described to be in his 20s, escaped in a large dark vehicle before police arrived. He is wanted on suspicion of first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and kidnapping.


Agency identifies drowning victim

A visitor from Nevada who drowned Sunday off Makaha has been identified by the city Medical Examiner's Office as Franklin Hamilton of Reno.

Lifeguards received the call for help at 10:39 a.m. Sunday. A snorkeling tour boat brought the 63-year-old visitor to shore. Hamilton was taken to the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:15 a.m. An autopsy Monday revealed he died of drowning in salt water that led to severe coronary atherosclerosis.


Surf victim ID'd as Kaneohe man

A 58-year-old man who died after surfing in the waters off White Plains Beach in Ewa yesterday has been identified as Lawrence Joyce of Kaneohe.

At about 12:30 p.m. yesterday, Joyce was discovered unresponsive in the water. Military lifeguards were notified and attempted to resuscitate the man.

An ambulance transported Joyce to the Hawaii Medical Center-West in critical condition. He was pronounced dead at 1:23 p.m. An autopsy is scheduled for today.



Fire crews save lost hikers, rescuer

A rescue mission for two hikers led to another rescue after a would-be good Samaritan became lost.

About 7:20 p.m. Sunday, rescue officials received a call from a couple who were lost in the Tripler Ridge Trail, above Moanalua. The area became cloudy and dark, said Honolulu fire spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig.

Rescue officials suspended their search due to the weather and told the couple to stay put for the night. The couple, in their late 20s or early 30s, was rescued at 6:30 a.m. Monday.

However, the couple did not tell rescue officials of the man they had met overnight. The 27-year-old man apparently heard about the lost couple on the evening news and, without telling anyone, set off on the trail to help the couple.

Seelig said the man found the couple on the trail, but they told him they were instructed to stay put until first light. The man then borrowed the couple's cell phone to tell his wife to pick him up at Windward Community College the next morning.

It wasn't until about 10:30 a.m. yesterday that the Honolulu Fire Department received calls about the third missing hiker. Rescue officials found the man with an injured ankle about two hours later.

“;We urge good Samaritan volunteers to coordinate with emergency responders,”; Seelig said. “;Don't just set out on your own because that might complicate a situation.”;