Kokua Line

Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Thursday, October 29, 1998

Manoa cemetery cited
for landfill violations

My parents live near the newest portion of the Manoa Chinese Cemetery. From time to time, as more area is required for burials, large amounts of dirt and rock have been brought in, bulldozed and used as landfill. Now the property appears as much as 6-10 feet higher than the existing road (Lower Road) that runs parallel to this area. Residents are concerned that in a heavy rain the road and surrounding lower-lying areas may encounter runoff because of this higher filled-in area. Does the cemetery have a grading permit that allows the filling of the land every few months as more area is needed? Even with a grading permit, are they allowed to change the natural lay of the land and thus alter or interrupt the natural flow of water?

A notice of violation for grading and stockpiling without a permit was issued to the owner of the cemetery on Oct. 1, Jan Sullivan, director of the city's Department of Planning and Permitting, said this week in answer to your complaint.

The notice requires the owner to stop work and to restore the affected area or obtain a permit.

The matter of runoff will be reviewed if the owner applies for a permit, Sullivan said. "A permit will not be issued unless the regulations on grading and stockpiling are satisfied," she said.


What can be done about a neighbor who has a 16-foot-high wooden fence abutting my property? The fence is in poor repair and I fear it may topple onto my property. There also is a large wooden deck, with a hot tub built in, attached to the fence. I am concerned that if a fire starts there, it may affect my home. Also, his fireplace is not properly vented and when in use, fills my house with smoke. We have tried talking to the man, but he is rude. What can we do to protect our home and safety?

If talking with your neighbor has gotten you nowhere, he probably wouldn't agree to having the matter mediated by the Neighborhood Justice Center. That leaves you with the next option -- calling the city Building Division.

If the fence needs repair, building inspectors could cite the owner, said William Deering, chief of the Housing Code Section. Inspectors would first check to see if a permit was issued, he said.

The owner also is required to have a permit for the decking, hot tub, etc. Inspectors also can check to see whether the fireplace is properly vented, Deering said.

He said to call 523-4276 and leave a message with your complaint and your neighbor's address.


Mahalo and Auwe

A belated mahalo to the Roughwater Swim Committee, officials, lifeguards, timers and tireless volunteers who put on the best open-ocean swimming event in the world -- the Labor Day Waikiki Roughwater Swim. Auwe to the complainer who felt that paying a fee entitled him to finish the race in whatever time it took regardless of the harm, problems and dangers it might cause others. Join a masters program to improve your swimming and volunteer to work in some races so you can learn about what things are like behind the scenes. -- Alton Motobu


AUW responds

Re the "auwe" about AUW: Some companies or individuals, "in their zeal to raise funds for deserving charities," may try to get 100 percent participation in their annual AUW drive, said president Irving Lauber. But most companies don't have total participation and AUW doesn't push for it, he said. "We encourage companies to run a quality workplace campaign where people learn about their community and give from the heart."

Lauber said if the reader calls AUW, he or she can receive a "confidential refund."

Need help with problems? Call Kokua Line at 525-8686,
fax 525-6711, or write to P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu 96802.
Email to kokualine@starbulletin.com

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1998 Honolulu Star-Bulletin