THIS listing of new books about Hawaii or by Hawaii authors is published on the last Friday of each month.
A GUIDE TO OLD KONA: Kona Historical Society, $10, 67 pages, University of Hawaii Press
An informative tour through Kona highlights many historical spots. Includes black-and-white photos and location maps.
ARTICLES OF FAITH: Robert L. Rodin, $22.95, 268 pages, St. Martin's Press
Danny Maguire's father, who was presumed dead, reappears, bringing with him a web of violence as unseen enemies try to repress his knowledge of a sinister smuggling ring.
Rodin, an architectural consultant, resides in Kailua.
ANNEXATION HAWAII: Thomas J. Osborne, $19.95, 137 pages, Island Style Press
Factual account of Hawaii's annexation from the United States. Osborne also wrote "Empire Can Wait," about American opposition to the Hawaiian annexation.
Kevin McManus: Author of "How to Save $5,000 Every Time You Buy or Lease a New Car," 2 p.m. Sunday, Borders, Ward, call 591-8995; and 4 p.m. Sunday, Borders, Waikele, call 676-6699.
READ ALL ABOUT IT
Martha Stewart Good Things Group: Create mosaics from broken plates, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Borders, Waikele. Call 676-6699.
Borders Other Reading Group: 7 p.m. last Tuesday of the month, Borders, Waikele. Call 676-6699.
Honolulu Chapter of the National Writers Association: Meets 7 p.m., second Tuesday every month, Manoa Gardens, 2790 Kahaloa Drive. Manuscript critique too. Information, 845-9585.
Literature Readers Group: 7 p.m. second Tuesday of the month, Borders, Ward. Call 591-8995.
Romance Readers Anonymous: 6:30 p.m. second Thursday every month, Borders, Waikele. Call 676-6699.
Romance Readers Group: 7 p.m. last Tuesday every month, Borders, Ward. Information, 591-8995.
Professional Writers Group of Hawaii: Meets 4-6 p.m. the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. Call Susan, 941-1768.
Science and Fantasy Fiction Reading Group: 7 p.m. last Wednesday of the month, Borders, Ward. Call 591-8995.
"Empowering Teenage Writers": Tom Peck shows writers ages 13-18 how to free the writer within them, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. tomorrow, Volcano Art Center. Cost: $25. Reserve at 1-808-967-8222.
"Write From the Heart": Marcia Zina Mager leads a workshop for writers of all genres and levels, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 12, Ho'omaluhia Botanical Park, Kaneohe. Cost: $75-$89. Register at 625-7619.
Maui Writers Conference: Annual publishing and screenwriting conference, Sept. 4-7; and Writers Retreat, Aug. 29-Sept. 3. For information, call 1-808-879-0061 or connect to http:// www. mauiwriters.com.
"Makana Akamai": Friends of the Library is asking for book donations to help the library's book budget. A brochure of wanted books is available at 536-4174. The books listed are selected by library staff to expand the library's collection and provide requested materials.
June 1998 Best Sellers
1. (tied) The Goodnight Gecko Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (2)
1. (tied) Gecko Hide and Seek Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (3)
3. Keiki's First Books (series) Wren and Maile, Bess Press (8)
4. Baby Honu's Adventure Tammy Yee, Island Heritage (5)
5. Fishes of Hawaii Susan and Thomas Kelly, Bess Press (4)
6. Popoki the Hawaiian Cat Diana C. Gleasner, Bill Gleasner Press (7)
7. Endangered Animals of Hawaii Patrick Ching, Bess Press
8. Holidays and Celebrations in Hawaii Wren, Bess Press
9. Brave Little Turtle Gill McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (6)
10. Kid Stuff About the Ocean Creatures of Hawaii Wren, Mutual Publishing
Gift and travel books
1. From the Skies of Paradise (series) Glen Grant, Chris Cook, Tom Stevens and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing (4)
2. Scenic Hawaii Series Island Heritage (1)
3. Viewbook (series) Douglas Peebles, Hawaiian Resources (2)
4. Beautiful Hawaii Ui and Steven Goldsberry, and Curt Sanburn, Mutual Publishing
5. Island Travelogues (series of six books) Curt Sanburn, Jan TenBruggencate, and Ui and Steve Goldsberry, Mutual Publishing (5)
6. 50th Anniversary Maui Cookbook various contributors, Maui Association for Family and Community Education (6)
7. Maui's Hana Highway Angela Kay Kepler,Mutual Publishing
8. Hawaii A Floral Paradise Douglas Peebles and Leland Miyano, Mutual Publishing
9. The Essential Guides (series of four books) Island Heritage (7)
10. Hawai'i's Natural Wonders Jan TenBruggencate and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing
1. Hawaiian Journey Joseph Mullins, Mutual Publishing (1)
2. Hawaii's Best Spooky Tales Rick Carroll, Bess Press (2)
3. Hawaii the Big Island Revealed Wizard Publications (3)
4. Kaiulani: Crown Princess of Hawaii Nancy and Jean Francis Webb, Mutual Publishing
5. Shoal of Time Gavan Daws, University of Hawaii Press (4)
6. Voices on the Wind Palani Vaughn, Mutual Publishing
7. Five Years on a Rock Milton Murayama, University of Hawaii Press
8. Obake - Ghost Stories in Hawaii Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing (10)
9. Ka Lei Ha 'Aheo: Beginning Hawaiian Alberta Hopkins, University of Hawaii Press (7)
10. Hawaii and It's People A. Grove Day, Mutual Publishing
1. Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen Lydia Liliuokalani, Mutual Publishing
2. Mark Twain in Hawaii Mark Twain, Mutual Publishing
3. Hawaiian Folk Tales compiled by Thomas G. Thrum, Mutual Publishing
4. Plantation Boy Milton Murayama, University of Hawaii Press (10)
5. The Betrayal of Liliuokalani Helena G. Allen, Mutual Publishing (3)
6. South Sea Tales Jack London, Mutual Publishing
7. (tied) Myths and Legends of Hawaii W.D. Westervelt, Mutual Publishing (2)
7. (tied) Legends and Myths of Hawaii David Kalakaua, Mutual Publishing (6)
7. (tied) Stories of Hawaii Jack London, Mutual Publishing (8)
10. All I Asking for Is My Body Milton Murayama, University of Hawaii Press (5)
1. Treasury of Ukulele Chords Roy Sakuma, Island Heritage
2. Handy Hawaiian Dictionary Compiled by Henry P. Judd, Mary Kawena Pukui and John F.G. Stokes, Mutual Publishing
3. Hawaii's Fishes John Hoover, Mutual Publishing
4. Pocket Guide to Flowers Leland Miyano and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing (10)
5. New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary Mary Pukui and Samuel Elbert, University of Hawaii Press (2)
6. Maui's Floral Splendor Angela Kay Kepler, Mutual Publishing
7. Hawaii's Birds Hawaii Audubon Society, Island Heritage (1)
8. Hawaii's Floral Splendor Angela Kay Kepler, Mutual Publishing
9. Atlas of Hawaii O.A. Bushnell, Gavan Daws and Andrew Berger, Island Heritage (8)
10. Kauai: Ancient Place Names and Their Stories Frederick Wichman, University of Hawaii Press
These are best-selling books in Hawaii during
June 1998. Figures are courtesy of the Hawaii Book Publishers Association
and Booklines distributors, and reflect sales by Hawaii-based publishers.
A star () denotes a title that has been on the market
at least five years; a number in parenthesis indicates
a title's previous ranking.