Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Monday, June 15, 1998

Tell parents the kiddies
should go to school

There are four children who live in my building who are not going to school. They are all of elementary school age. They are not causing any problems, but it's sad to see them not getting an education. I don't want to call police. Two are from an immigrant family, the other two from a Section 8 (welfare) family. Whom can I contact to see if something can be done? It may be too late now, since school is out for the summer, but at least for the next school year.

You should check first with the Department of Education's District Office for your area to determine what school(s) the children should be enrolled in, said DOE spokesman Greg Knudsen. For your area, that would be the Central Oahu District, 627-7481. You could then discuss the situation with the office or with the pertinent school.

Sometimes, children are being home-schooled, Knudsen said, although that apparently did not seem to be happening in the cases you cited.

"The school has no direct authority or responsibility to go off campus to chase down kids who should be in school," he said. "But if there is a definite case where children are being kept out, it should be turned over to the police."

However, he hoped that you "would first approach the people and let them know" about the compulsory attendance law, especially the immigrant family. Knudsen said you could give them his name and number, 586-3230, to find out what to do.


I'd like to volunteer for the Special Olympics. I hope I'm not too late. Whom do I contact and where is it?

It's too late for the state summer games, which were held over the Memorial Day weekend, but Hawaii Special Olympics is a year-round program "so we do need volunteers all year round," said executive director Nancy Botelho.

Different areas have competitions throughout the year.

In addition, there are three state tournaments annually, she said. The next one will be a soccer tournament on Aug. 22, and then during the first weekend in December, the State Holiday Classic -- "a pretty huge event" -- is held. To volunteer, just call 531-1888, press zero and speak to Tracy, the volunteer coordinator.



To all the overly considerate drivers who have the right of way and insist that the other car at the stop sign come into the traffic. I appreciate their thoughtfulness, but do they realize that someone behind them is anticipating them to be going and they may be the cause of accidents? -- No name



To the lady with a silver Altima for making sure I had a ride home (and for waiting until my ride showed up) after my station wagon wouldn't start at the Hawaii Kai Library on April 20. At 16 years of age, I've finally witnessed true aloha spirit. -- A.P.



To the person who put a Longs plastic bag with dog droppings into our trash can on May 1 a few minutes after the trash collectors had emptied it. Can't you take your trash home to dispose of? We who live on the street where you walk your dog do not appreciate it. -- No name



To the good Samaritan who found my wallet at Pearl City Shopping Center several months ago and left it on a lawn chair in my yard. I'd like that person to call me at 583-1170.

Need help with problems? Call Kokua Line at 525-8686,
fax 525-6711, or write to P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu 96802.
Email to kokualine@starbulletin.com

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1998 Honolulu Star-Bulletin