Thursday, April 16, 1998

admissions chief
must testify

A circuit judge orders the
schools official to undergo
further questioning

By Rick Daysog


A Kamehameha Schools' admissions director who refused to answer questions from the attorney general's office about the school's admissions policies must go back for further questioning, Circuit Judge Kevin Chang ruled today.

Chang ordered director Wayne Chang to resume his testimony with the attorney general's office by May 1. He also sanctioned Howard Luke, Wayne Chang's attorney, $750 for advising the admissions director not to answer questions.

The judge said that Luke and state attorneys had already reached an agreement in court for the admissions director to testify on March 27.

The state is seeking Chang's testimony in its probe into allegations of financial mismanagement and breaches of fiduciary duties by individual trustees of the multibillion-dollar charitable trust.

Lawrence Goya, senior deputy attorney general, said the state subpoenaed Wayne Chang earlier this year as part of its inquiry into charges that trustees "improperly influenced" the admissions process at Kamehameha Schools.

On March 27, Wayne Chang appeared at the attorney general's office but did not answer questions due to a petition by the Bishop Estate for an order protecting the identities of Kamehameha Schools' students who may be affected by the investigation.

Prior to that, Chang broke off an interview when state investigators asked whether children of some prominent local residents were unfairly admitted.

Bishop Estate attorney William McCorriston had sought the protective order restricting the schools' admission records, citing privacy issues. Judge Chang denied that motion.

Bishop Estate Archive

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1998 Honolulu Star-Bulletin