But only one attorney will be allowedBy Mary Adamski
to speak during the interview
Bishop Estate trustee Lokelani Lindsey will be allowed to bring two attorneys with her for an interview with state attorneys investigating allegations of mismanagement of the estate.
But only one of the lawyers will be allowed to speak, according to a letter from Deputy Attorney General Lawrence Goya to Lindsey's attorney William A. Harrison.
Lindsey, who has resisted testifying in the investigation, walked away from a scheduled Nov. 10 interview after state attorneys said she could only be represented by one lawyer.
In addition to Harrison, she came to the meeting accompanied by Dawson Taylor, a Seattle lawyer.
Attorney General Margery Bronster last week asked the Circuit Court to find Lindsey in civil contempt for missing the interview. The motion said the state has issued four subpoenas for Lindsey's testimony but the trustee repeatedly attempted to delay an examination by state attorneys.
The subpoenas are among 31 issued seeking records and testimony from Bishop Estate trustees, employees and business partners in the state investigation into mismanagement of the estate that operates Kamehameha Schools.
The terms set out by Goya in a letter Friday are no change from conditions on Nov. 10, according to a Lindsey news release yesterday.
Another condition set forth by Goya is that the lawyers represent Lindsey and are paid by her personally, and have no direct or indirect connection with Bishop Estate/Kamehameha Schools.
"While we continue to believe that Ms. Lindsey has no right to two lawyers at the interview, we would allow it with assurances from you that the second attorney is not, in actuality, an attorney for the estate," Goya wrote to Harrison.
Bronster wants billing records
for Bishop Estate ads
By Rick Daysog
State Attorney General Margery Bronster has subpoenaed Honolulu's daily newspapers for billing records and invoices for advertisements placed last week by Kamehameha Schools/Bishop Estate.
The attorney general's office wants to know whether estate money is being spent properly on the advertisements, which ran on Nov. 21 in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and the Honolulu Advertiser, said Cynthia Quinn, special assistant to the attorney general.
Bronster currently is investigating allegations of trustees' mismanagement. A separate review by court-appointed master Colbert Matsumoto recently criticized the estate for posting losses and loss reserves of up to $246.1 million for its fiscal year ending June 30, 1996.
The ads touted the estate's financial health, saying it has enjoyed a 15 percent, compound annualized rate of return since 1979.
Bishop Estate's Elisa Yadao said the ads cost about $10,000 and are designed to convey facts that were not included in the master's report and subsequent media reports.
Star-Bulletin Publisher John Flanagan said he referred the Star-Bulletin subpoena to a separate company, the Hawaii Newspaper Agency, which handles billing and other noneditorial functions for the daily newspapers.
Lawrence Fuller, HNA's president and publisher of the Advertiser, said he plans to comply with the subpoenas, which he described as routine.
The Star-Bulletin and the Advertiser are separate companies that operate under a joint operating agreement, in which HNA handles all marketing, circulation and advertising efforts.