Newswatch



By Star-Bulletin Staff

Wednesday, October 15, 1997

Plans for school safety
head to education board

A statewide campus security program and more training for security guards were approved yesterday by the Department of Education's Student Services Committee.

The initiatives now head to the school board for review.

A statewide campus security program would help schools develop a safety plan in line with local and federal laws, said Al Suga, assistant superintendent of business services.

The plan calls for more training for school security guards and providing them with equipment and uniforms.

The department would also like to establish school safety demonstration projects at 10 schools, Suga said.

Another goal is to create a safety office to develop and monitor health and safety programs.

Pair plead not guilty in slaying of Ireland

HILO -- Brothers Shawn and Albert Ian Schweitzer have pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, rape and murder in the 1991 death of Dana Ireland.

The brothers entered the pleas before Judge Riki May Amano yesterday after surrendering to Hilo police at 6:30 a.m.

They were indicted last week by a grand jury for the 1991 Christmas Eve attack at Kapoho, in which assailants rammed Ireland with a car while she was riding a bicycle and took her to another location where she was beaten, raped and left to die.

Amano set the trial for April 6.

She also said she planned to issue a gag order, preventing attorneys from talking about the case to the news media, similar to orders already issued by Family Court in regard to Shawn and by Circuit Court in regard to a third suspect, Frank Pauline Jr.

Both were being held in the Hawaii Community Correctional Center in lieu of $70,000 bail each. Shawn was also indicted last week for an unrelated sexual assault in 1992. He pleaded not guilty before Judge Greg Nakamura yesterday.

Leaflets on Tibet are being given to moviegoers

The local chapter of Amnesty International aims to give moviegoers a dose of reality when they leave the movie "Seven Years in Tibet."

Members in Honolulu and Hilo began distributing brochures outside theaters this week telling about China's continuing occupation of the small Himalayan country and the suppression of human rights there.

The leaflets provide moviegoers with postcards ready to sign and mail to President Clinton and Chinese President Jiang Zemin calling for negotiations with the Dalai Lama over Tibet's future, and to the Dalai Lama, Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, expressing support.

The Dalai Lama's youthful friendship with a European adventurer is the subject of "Seven Years in Tibet."

Amnesty International, Students for a Free Tibet and the International Campaign for Tibet have gathered more than 7,000 signatures, including about 700 in Hawaii, in a petition drive calling for China to release a particular Tibetan political prisoner, said Clare Hanusz of the Honolulu Amnesty group.

The man, a restaurant owner named Ngodrup, has been imprisoned since 1987. He was arrested for providing food and tea to people who demonstrated against human-rights violations in the capital city of Lhasa.

See expanded coverage in today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin.
See our [Info] section for subscription information.




Police/Fire


By Star-Bulletin staff

Kauai father arrested for false report of rape

LIHUE -- A man was arrested and charged with false reporting after Kauai police determined that one of two young girls reported to have been sexually assaulted last week was in fact not assaulted, said Kauai police Inspector Dennis Higashi.

On Oct. 6, two girls -- a 6-year-old in Puhi and a 10-year-old in Kapaa -- were reported to have been sexually assaulted by strangers who entered their homes at night while their parents slept in other rooms.

Higashi said "good investigative technique" helped police determine that the report of the Kapaa assault was false. The girl's father reported the assault. He was released and the case is being referred to the prosecutor, he said. The Puhi incident was reported at 3:19 a.m., and the Kapaa incident at 3:51 a.m.

Although circumstances in both reports were remarkably similar -- both girls were reportedly sleeping in the living room when they were attacked -- descriptions of the attackers were so different and the 15-mile distance between towns led police to believe the incidents were unrelated.

Police still do not link the reports.

Big Island motorcyclist year's 26th traffic death

HILO -- A motorcyclist was killed and two other people were slightly injured when a car pulled into the path of a motorcycle yesterday, police said.

The 2:05 p.m. accident at the intersection of Paradise Drive and the Keaau-Pahoa Highway took the life of Keith C. Johnson, 57, of Pahoa.

Haidee Kanakanui, 27, of Pahoa, the driver of the car which pulled in front of Johnson, was treated at the scene, along with daughter, Kaylynn, 13 months, and released, police said.

Police initiated a negligent homicide investigation.

Johnson's death was the 26th traffic fatality of the year, compared with 30 at the same time last year.

Marijuana plants seized at ranch in South Kona

KAILUA-KONA -- Police seized 61 marijuana plants yesterday in Waiea, South Kona, in an effort described as a partnership with ranches in the area. The ranch where the seizures were made was not identified.

See expanded coverage in today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin.
See our [Info] section for subscription information.





Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Community]
[Info] [Letter to Editor] [Stylebook] [Feedback]



© 1997 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://starbulletin.com