By Star-Bulletin Staff

Saturday, September 13, 1997

Kamehameha students, teachers
under ‘tremendous stress’

The recent reprimand of four elected Kamehameha Schools faculty leaders by school administration is one reason faculty and alumni want a fact-finder to speed his inquiry into Bishop Estate.

"It's a most unfortunate thing," said Beadie Dawson, representing Na Pua a Ke Ali'i Pauahi. "And I think it is an illustration of the type of tight control the school seems to want over people. In many ways it's quite feudalistic.

"There are students under tremendous stress because of this controversy. There are teachers under tremendous stress."

She said the four faculty representatives -- Carolyn Kehau Abad, David Kawika Eyre, Charlene Hoe and Gary Obrecht -- were individually called into the principal's office in recent weeks and read an outline of the school's teacher handbook - including a section that prohibits faculty from talking to the media without consent.

The four -- who won't speak publicly about the reprimands -- were put on notice that any further violations could be cause for disciplinary action or termination, she said.

Bishop Estate spokeswoman Elisa Yadao said she cannot comment on whether trustees or administrators have issued any such reminders to teachers because it is an internal personnel matter.

‘Voice of Rainbows’ Jim Leahey
diagnosed with leukemia

Broadcaster Jim Leahey, the longtime "Voice of the Rainbows," has been diagnosed with leukemia and has begun treatment.

Leahey is being treated at Straub Clinic and Hospital on King Street. The number of visitors is being restricted for now.

He said Saturday morning that doctors believe the prognosis is good for recovery.

"I feel fine," he said. "I'm a little poked-up right now. I'll be in here about a month."

Leahey, 54, said he had been feeling a little tired recently and on Monday spat up blood. "I thought it was a virus," he said.

"I went to the doctor on Monday and he said, 'It could be pneumonia.'" When the blood tests came back, Leahey said, he was told of the diagnosis.

"It came out of nowhere. In a day, it changes your whole life.

"The doctors said that I'm healthy otherwise, so we'll see. My family has been terrific."

Robert Kekaula will do play-by-play of tonight's University of Hawaii football game on KFVE. Larry Goeas will provide analysis.

"I'll probably be peeking in on it," Leahey said.

Blaze in Waikiki apartment
kills man in wheelchair

A 49-year-old man died in his Waikiki apartment Friday night in a fire so intense that spectators across the street felt the heat.

A 34-year-old woman who lives in the same eighth-floor apartment was helped down the stairwell by a neighbor and carried the last five floors by another fleeing resident. She was taken by ambulance to Queen's Hospital and was in satisfactory condition today after treatment for smoke inhalation, according to a nursing supervisor.

The victims' names were withheld by police and fire investigators.

Police said the man and woman who shared the apartment were both quadriplegics. The man was in a wheelchair.

Police said a 20-year-old female caregiver left the apartment to buy cigarettes after an argument with the man yesterday afternoon. Police said when the woman returned, the apartment was engulfed in flames.

Nine fire companies responded to the 5:13 p.m. alarm at the Monte Vista apartments at 320 Liliuokalani Ave. The cause of the fire is under investigation, said acting Assistant Fire Chief Kenneth Word.

Hawaiian sovereignty activist
‘Bumpy’ Kanahele pleads guilty

Hawaiian sovereignty activist Dennis "Bumpy" Kanahele says he's glad his long court fight with federal officials is over.

After pleading guilty Friday to a charge of impeding and interfering with a deputy U.S. marshal, Kanahele said he "would like to put it all behind us and move on to other things."

"I am pleased that Mr. Kanahele has chosen to take responsibility for his actions," said U.S. Attorney Steven Alm. "The law applies to everyone."

Kanahele was indicted Aug. 2, 1995, with Gordon Kaaihue on charges of interfering with Honolulu police officers who attempted to arrest Nathan Brown in January 1994. Brown had been convicted of federal tax charges and failed to appear to begin serving his sentence following his conviction.

The same indictment also charged Kanahele with interference with a federal marshal while engaged in his official duties. That charge stemmed from a March 16, 1994, incident, in which he interfered with U.S. marshals who were trying to arrest Brown as he fled across Kanahele's yard in Waimanalo.

The indictment also charged Kanahele with harboring the fugitive, Nathan Brown. The government will dismiss both the count involving interference with Honolulu police officers and the other of harboring a fugitive at Kanahele's sentencing, set for Feb. 12, 1998, before U.S. District Judge Helen Gillmor.

Kanahele had been held in custody several months without bail. He later was granted bail with conditions and will remain free pending sentencing.

See expanded coverage in Saturday's Honolulu Star-Bulletin.
See our [Info] section for subscription information.

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Community]
[Info] [Letter to Editor] [Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1997 Honolulu Star-Bulletin