Friday, June 27, 1997
"A Cab Called Reliable": Patti Kim, $18.95, 156 pages, St. Martin's Press
Writing brings Ahn Joo Cho release and comfort after her family leaves Korea for a new life in America.
"Lost In Paradise": Constance Han Stewart, $11, 139 pages, Fithian Press
Seven fictional short stories about the human heart. Stewart's stories deal with love, death and the quest for relationships with Hawaii as the setting.
"Merchant Prince of the Sandalwood Mountains: Afong and the Chinese in Hawaii": Bob Dye, $45, 230 pages, University of Hawaii Press
Biography of Hawaii's first Chinese millionaire whose business empire stretched across the Pacific to Hawaii and the mainland.
"Dreaming Hawaii: An Island Story": Iris Pasquet, $8.95, 65 pages, Hawaiian Service Inc.
Colorful pictures of the islands intertwined with stories and poems of Hawaii. Aunt Livia, who left her family at 15 to follow her love to Hawaii, returns home to California, sharing stories of Hawaii.
"Go For Broke": Chester Tanaka, $39.95, 171 pages, Presidio Press
History of the Japanese-American 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442d Regimental Combat Team with many photographs.
"Angel and Tutu": Helen M. Swanson, $6.95, 112 pages, Bess Press
Adventure story of 12-year-old Angel and his pals Rollo and Keoni. For upper elementary grades.
"Na Mo'olelo Hawai'i o Ka Wa Kahiko: Stories of Old Hawaii": Roy Kakulu Alameida, $30.95 (hardcover) or $11.95 (paperback), 124 pages, Bess Press
Retelling of 45 traditional Hawaiian children stories including the earliest tales of creation and peopling of the Hawaiian Islands.
"The Crustacean Codex": Thomas Suarez, $17.50, 142 pages, Terra Nova Press
A former Hawaii resident, Suarez gives his provocative view of life through an exotic adventure of two shrimps.
LOCAL BEST SELLERS
May 1997 FavoritesChildren's books
1. The Goodnight Gecko Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (2)
2. Native Animals of Hawaii Patrick Ching, Bess Press
3. Rainbow Readers Resi J. Ditzel, Bess Press (4)
4. The Musubi Man Sandi Takayama and Pat Hall, Bess Press (5)
5. Gecko Hide and Seek Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (7)
6. (tied) The Legend of the Laughing Gecko Bruce Hale, Geckostufs (6)
6. (tied) Endangered Animals of Hawaii Patrick Ching, Bess Press
8. Angel and Tutu Helen Swanson, Bess Press
9. Brave Little Turtle Gill McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading
10. Tales of Tutu Nene and Nele Gale Bates, Island Heritage (8)
Gift and travel
1. 50th Anniversary Maui Cookbook various contributors, Maui Association for Family and Community Education
2. Viewbook (series) Douglas Peebles, Hawaiian Resources (1)
3. Hawaii's Catch of the Day Kristine Vassey Smith, Mutual Publishing (7)
4. Scenic Hawaii Series Island Heritage (2)
5. Hawaii Cooks From the Garden Maili Yardley, Mutual Publishing (10)
6. From the Skies of Paradise (series) Glen Grant, Chris Cook, Tom Stevens and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing
7. Hawaii Blossoms Dorothy and Bob Hargreaves, Island Heritage (8)
8. Maui on My Mind Rita Ariyoshi, Mutual Publishing (9)
9. Art of Hula Vol. 1 Ron Laes, Laes-Goldsmith Publishing Co.
10. Islands of Hawaii Ray Helbig, Hawaiian Service (6)
1. Na Mo'olelo Hawaii o ka Wa Kahiko, Stories of Old Hawai'i Roy Alameida
2. Wahineball Dean Chudwin, Mutual Publishing
3. Chicken Skin: True Spooky Stories of Hawai'i Rick Carroll, Bess Press (1)
4. Hawaiian Journey Joseph Mullins, Mutual Publishing (2)
5. Growing Up Barefoot in Hawai'i Peggy Hickok Hodge
6. Shoal of Time Gavan Daws, University of Hawai'i Press (6)
7. Obake - Ghost Stories in Hawaii Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing (10)
8. Obake Files Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing (4)
9. Hawai'i's Glamour Days Maili Yardley, Mutual Publishing
10. Honolulu Mysteries Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing
1. South Sea Tales Jack London, Mutual Publishing
2. Hawaiian Mythology Martha Beckwith, University of Hawai'i Press (10)
3. The Pacific Way: A Memoir Ratu Sir Kamisese Mara
4. Shanghai Express: A Thirties Novel Henshui Zhang
5. Mark Twain's Letters From Hawaii Mark Twain, University of Hawai'i Press
6. Legends and Myths of Hawaii David Kalakaua, Mutual Publishing (3)
7. Myths and Legends of Hawaii W.D. Westervelt, Mutual Publishing (1)
8. Stories of Hawaii Jack London, Mutual Publishing (7)
9. Mark Twain in Hawaii Mark Twain, Mutual Publishing (4)
10. The Betrayal of Liliuokalani Helena G. Allen, Mutual Publishing (5)
1. New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary Mary Pukui and Samuel Elbert, University of Hawai'i Press (3)
2. Pocket Guide to Flowers Leland Miyano, Mutual Publishing
3. Pocket Guide to Hawaii's Birds H. Douglas Pratt, Mutual Publishing (1)
4. Hawaiian Dictionary (revised) Mary Pukui and Samuel Elbert, University of Hawai'i Press
5. Hawaii's Fishes: A Guide for Snorkelers, Divers and Aquarists John Hoover, Mutual Publishing
6. Pearl Harbor: The Way It Was Scott C.S. Stone, Island Heritage (8)
7. Atlas of Hawaii O.A. Bushnell, Gavan Daws and Andrew Berger, Island Heritage (5)
8. Hawaii's Birds Hawaii Audubon Society, Island Heritage (2)
9. Kilauea, the Newest Land on Earth Christina Heliker, Island Heritage
10. Tropical Trees of Hawaii Dorothy & Bob Hargreaves, Island Heritage (4)
These are best-selling books in Hawaii during the period noted.
Figures are courtesy of the Hawaii Book Publishers Association and
Book-lines distributors, and reflect sales by Hawaii-based publishers.
A star () denotes a title that has been on the
market at least five years or more; a number in parenthesis
indicates a title's previous ranking.
Write to Features, Honolulu Star-Bulletin,
P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu, HI 96802 or send a fax to
523-8509 or E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your phone number.