‘Five-0’ not
in fall lineup

But a mid-season launch remains
an option for the Hawaii-based show

By Tim Ryan
Star-Bulletin

A new "Hawaii Five-0" series will not be on CBS's prime-time lineup this fall but is being considered as a mid-season replacement that would air next January, the Star-Bulletin has learned.

"The show did not make the network's new show list," said a spokesperson for Stephen J. Cannell, writer and one of the producers for the pilot that was filmed here in April. "Mid-season, however, remains an option."

CBS officials notified Cannell and co-executive producer Jo Swerling in Los Angeles yesterday that the revised hour-long television drama was not included in the network's September schedule.

The pilot starred Russell Wong, Gary Busey, Steven Flynn, Elsie Sniffen and Andy Bumatai.

The original "Five-0" series' cast -- James MacArthur, Kam Fong, Zulu, Moe Keale, Herman Wedemeyer and Harry Endo -- were used extensively in the pilot. Jack Lord did not appear due to illness.

The pilot was shown earlier this month to CBS executives in Los Angeles and New York and to a select cable audience in New York City, officials said.

The cost of making a television series is staggering and contributes much to local economies where the show is filmed. Each "Five-0" episode would have cost more than $1.2 million to produce with a large portion of that being spent in Hawaii.

The show also would have employed dozens of local cast and crew members. In the pilot, for instance, about two dozen island actors were used.

"Hawaii Five-0," which originally starred Lord as the unflappable Steve McGarrett, ran on CBS from 1968-80.

Surgery scheduled
for new 'Five-0' star

By Star-Bulletin staff

Gary Busey, who starred in the recent "Hawaii Five-0" pilot filmed here, will undergo surgery Saturday to remove a congenital tumor "the size of a plum" located behind his nose.

"The tumor was recently detected after the actor began suffering severe nosebleeds," Jonathan Perry, Busey's publicist, said in Los Angeles. At least once during the two-week "Five-0" filming here in April, Busey, 52, suffered a severe nosebleed that briefly interrupted production.

According to an actor and a crew member, on the last night of filming, Busey first requested that his scene be shot before one that was scheduled because his nose was about to bleed.

Busey's scene in the late-night filming near the downtown post office was brief, contained no dialogue and required the actor only to walk to a nearby garbage can and retrieve a note. As Buseydiscussed the scene with director Bradford May, the actor's nose began bleeding "profusely," a crew member said, and the actor yelled for "Kleenex!"

"There's all this blood gushing from his nose. And Gary yells 'That's it," and hurried to his trailer," the crew member said.

The makeup man didn't have tissues with him so he used a powder puff to plug the bleeding, witnesses said.

Busey, after a 20-minute meeting in his trailer with May and a production medic, completed the scene and left for his hotel.

CBS has not put "Five-0" in its fall lineup. It was not known whether the show's failure to make the fall lineup was due, in part, to Busey's ailment.

In May 1995, Busey, who had previously admitted publicly to a substance abuse problem, was charged with felony cocaine possession after being hospitalized for an apparent drug overdose.




Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Community]
[Info] [Letter to Editor] [Stylebook] [Feedback]



© 1997 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://starbulletin.com