Friday, April 25, 1997
"Don't Sweat the small Stuff It's All small Stuff": Joan Johnson, $5.95, 154 pages, Kenjo Productions Inspirational one-line advice for people to live by. Johnson has been a Hawaii resident for 24 years.
The Star Gazer": Roberleigh H. Claigh, $12.50, 117 pages, Living Wellness
Hoku-Helelei, an astrologer, teaches his son, Hoku-iki, astrology through legends and stories. In a creative weave of the Western and Hawaiian astrology, Claigh puts faces to the astrological signs.
"Motherhood At The Crossroads: Meeting the Challenge of a Changing Role": Sue Lanci Villani and Jane E. Ryan, $27.95, 244 pages, Plenum Publishing Corp.
Stories of the struggles and successes of Villani and Ryan. Villani, a journalist who resides in Kailua, has had articles published in "Baltimore Sun" and "Aloha, Honolulu." Her work covers business to entertainment.
Ryan, a Kaneohe resident, is a member of the clinical faculty of the Burns School of Medicine at the University of Hawaii, and clinical director of Hina Mauka, a drug treatment center.
"Lost Battalions": Franz Steidl, $21.95, 193 pages, Presidio Press
Story of two battalions who were "lost" in the same forest and the teams that came to their rescue.
Told by men from both sides of the war, "Lost Battalions" gives a vivid account of the "Alamo Regiment" and the Japanese-American Nisei of the famed "Go For Broke" 442nd Regimental Combat Team who rescued them. At the same time, Wehrmacht's 202nd Mountain Battalion had to be rescued by its sister unit, the 201st Mountain Battalion.
Steidl served as an infantry platoon leader during the Vietnam War. His wife is the daughter and niece of Nisei veterans of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team.
LOCAL BEST SELLERS
March 1997 FavoritesChildren's books
1. The Goodnight Gecko Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (3)
2. Three Whales Who Won the Heart of the World Suzanne Kita, Island Heritage (4)
3. Gecko Hide and Seek Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading
4. The Legend of the Laughing Gecko Bruce Hale, Geckostufs (7)
5. Aloha Bear and the Meaning of Aloha Dick Adair, Island Heritage (9)
6. The Musubi Man Sandi Takayama and Pat Hall, Bess Press (2)
7. (tie) Beautiful Birds of Hawaii Patrick Ching, Bess Press (5)
7. (tie) The Legend of Guava Bear Gale Bates, Island Heritage
9. (tie) Endangered Animals of Hawaii Patrick Ching, Bess Press (8)
9. (tie) Adventures of Aloha Bear and Maui the Whale Mark A. Wagenman, Island Heritage
Gift and travel
1. Viewbook (series) Douglas Peebles, Hawaiian Resources (2)
2. Scenic Hawaii Series Island Heritage (1)
3. From the Skies of Paradise (series) Glen Grant, Chris Cook, Tom Stevens and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing (4)
4. Maui on My Mind Rita Ariyoshi, Mutual (7)
5. Haleakala: A Guide to the Mountain Cameron and Angela Kepler, Mutual
6. Islands of Hawaii Ray Helbig, Hawaiian Service (6)
7. Hawai'i's Beautiful Birds H. Douglas Pratt and Jack Jeffrey, Mutual
8. Kauai, The Garden Island Allan Seiden, Island Heritage
9. Hawaii's Island Cooking Bonnie Tuell, Mutual
10. The Essential Guide to Maui Island Heritage
1. Wahineball Dean Chudwin, Mutual
2. Hawaiian Journey Joseph Mullins, Mutual
3. Chicken Skin: True Spooky Stories of Hawai'i Rick Carroll, Bess Press (1)
4. Obake Files Glen Grant, Mutual (4)
5. Shoal of Time Gavan Daws, University of Hawai'i Press (3)
6. Hawaiian Names English Names Eileen Root, Press Pacifica (6)
7. Fornander's Ancient History of the Hawaiian People Abraham Fornander, Mutual (2)
8. Hurricane Iniki Jim Borg, Mutual
9. Shark Bites: True Tales of Survival Greg Ambrose, Bess Press
10. All About Hawaiian Al Schutz, University of Hawai'i Press (5)
1. Legends and Myths of Hawaii David Kalakaua, Mutual (3)
2. Myths and Legends of Hawaii W.D. Westervelt, Mutual (7)
3. Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen Lydia Liliuokalani, Mutual (6)
4. A Hawaiian Reader edited by A. Grove Day and Carl Stroven, Mutual (2)
5. Kona Marjorie Sinclair, Mutual
6. The Betrayal of Liliuokalani Helena G. Allen, Mutual (1)
7. Mark Twain in Hawaii Mark Twain, Mutual (4)
8. Stories of Hawaii Jack London, Mutual (5)
9. South Sea Tales Jack London, Mutual
10. Hawaiian Mythology Martha Beckwith, University of Hawai'i Press
1. Hawaii's Birds Hawaii Audubon Society, Island Heritage (3)
2. Pocket Guide to Hawaii's Birds H. Douglas Pratt, Mutual (1)
3. Gardening In Hawaii Peggy Hodge, Mutual (8)
4. Growing Native Hawaiian Plants Heidi Bornhorst, Bess Press (6)
5. Kilauea, the Newest Land on Earth Christina Heliker, Island Heritage
6. (tie) Pearl Harbor: The Way It Was Scott C.S. Stone, Island Heritage
6. (tie) Atlas of Hawaii O.A. Bushnell, Gavan Daws, Andrew Berger, Island Heritage
8. Exotic Tropicals of Hawaii Angela Kay Kepler and Jacob R. Mau, Mutual
9. (tie) Maui's Floral Splendor Angela Kay Kepler, Mutual
9. (tie) Exotic Tropicals of Hawaii Angela K. Kepler, Mutual
These are best-selling books in Hawaii during the period noted.
Figures are courtesy of the Hawaii Book Publishers Association and
Book-lines distributors, and reflect sales by Hawaii-based publishers.
A star () denotes a title that has been on the
market at least five years or more; a number in parenthesis
indicates a title's previous ranking.
Write to Features, Honolulu Star-Bulletin,
P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu, HI 96802 or send a fax to
523-8509 or E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your phone number.