Gerald G. Jampolsky, a psychiatrist awarded for his work with learning-disabled children, presents his latest book, "Listen to Me," 1 p.m. tomorrow at Borders, Ward Centre. Subtitled "A Book for Men and Women about Fathers and Sons," it includes letters between the doctor and his son. Among Jampolsky's other books are "Love Is Letting Go of Fear," "Children as Teachers of Peace" and "Advice to Doctors and Other Big People from Kids."
Susan Gregg offers her books "Dance of Power" and "Finding the Sacred Self" noon Sunday at Borders, Ward Centre.
Elizabeth Engstrom talks about her book "Lizard Wine" and gives tips on how to get a novel published, 7 p.m. Sunday at Barnes & Noble.
Paul Spickard, professor of history at Brigham Young University-Hawaii, presents his new ethnic-studies book, "Japanese Americans," 7 p.m. Tuesday at Barnes & Noble.
Hahn will also lead a workshop from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 24 at the University of Hawaii - Manoa, Kuykendall 410.
The events are sponsored by the Hawaii Literary Arts Council and admission is free.
Writers who aspire to be published can get free advice from professionals in the publishing world, starting in August. The Book Publishing Division of the Hawaii Publishers Association will present a monthly series of workshops at Barnes & Noble, Kahala Mall, and Borders, Ward Centre.
"Writing for the Textbook and Curriculum Market," 7 p.m. Jan. 23 with Benjamin Bess of Bess Press, at Borders. Topics include writing for scholars, what literary agents do, writing for the Hawaiian Immersion Program and getting publicity.
The Writers Group offers feedback and company 7 p.m. Jan. 24 at Borders, Waikele.
Find out how to craft a love scene at the Sensual Writing Workshop 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 28 and 30. The women-only seminar will be at a private home near Kahala Mall. Costs $100 ($85 members). Call Sally at 739-7722.
Thomas B. Allen, $18.95, 340 pages, Lyons & Burford
Updated guide to sharks includes famous attacks, attitudes toward sharks in varied times and countries, descriptions of shark species and their relatives and companions, commercial shark fishing, folklore and recipes. Several Hawaii incidents and traditions are featured.
"Japanese Americans: The Formation and Transformations of an Ethnic Group"
Paul R. Spickard, $28.95 cloth, $16.95 paper, 185 pages, Twayne Publishers
Ethnic study of Japanese immigrants traces their and their descendants' efforts to establish themselves within the United States. Spickard, a professor of history at Brigham Young University, focuses on three forces at work with ethnicity - shared interests, shared institutions and shared culture.
"Paradise Family Guides: Maui and Lana'i"
Christie Stilson and Dona Early, $15, 426 pages, Prima Publishing
Updated guide to Maui county combines anecdotes, descriptions of places to see and the editors' "Best Bets" with reviews of hotels and other residences, eateries and activities. General information includes weather descriptions, a calendar of annual events and tips for families with young children, couples planning to wed and the physically impaired.
The food section carries the weight of Early's opinion (she's the dining columnist for the Lahaina News), with some reviews almost a page long.
"Paradise Family Guides: Kaua'i"
Dona Early and Christie Stilson, $14.95, 293 pages, Prima Publishing
Updated guide to the island, as comprehensive in scope as the Maui book.
2. The Goodnight Gecko Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (1)
3. A Is For Aloha Stephanie Feeney and Hella Hamid, University of Hawai'i Press
4. Gecko Hide and Seek Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (4)
5. Aloha Bear and the Meaning of Aloha Dick Adair, Island Heritage (5)
6. The Legend of the Laughing Gecko Bruce Hale, Geckostufs (9)
7. Three Whales Who Won the Heart of the World Suzanne Kita, Island Heritage (8)
8. Sand to Sea Stephanie Feeney and Ann Fielding, University of Hawai'i Press
9. Native Animals of Hawaii Patrick Ching, Bess Press (3)
10. Adventures of Aloha Bear and Maui the Whale Mark A. Wagenman, Island Heritage (10)
2. Waikiki Yesteryear Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing
3. Viewbook (series) Douglas Peebles, Hawaiian Resources (2)
4. Hawai'i's Natural Wonders Jan TenBruggencate and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing
5. Kauai Travelogue Curt Sanburn, Jan TenBruggencate and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing
6. Hawai'i's Beautiful Birds H. Douglas Pratt and Jack Jeffrey, Mutual Publishing
7. Scenic Hawaii Series Island Heritage (1)
8. With Sam Choy: Cooking from the Heart Sam Choy, Mutual Publishing
9. Reflections of Kauai edited by Paul Turley, Island Heritage
10. From the Skies of Paradise (series) Glen Grant, Chris Cook, Tom Stevens and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing
2. Hawaiian Mythology Martha Beckwith, University of Hawai'i Press
3. Hawai'i Chronicles Bob Dye, University of Hawai'i Press
4. Legends and Myths of Hawaii David Kalakaua, Mutual Publishing (1)
5. Tales of the Tikongs Epeli Hau'ofa, University of Hawai'i Press
6. Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen Lydia Liliuokalani, Mutual Publishing (2)
7. Myths and Legends of Hawaii W.D. Westervelt, Mutual Publishing (3)
8. Mark Twain in Hawaii Mark Twain, Mutual Publishing (5)
9. A Hawaiian Reader edited by A. Grove Day and Carl Stroven, Mutual Publishing
10. Stories of Hawaii Jack London, Mutual Publishing (7)
2. Obake Files Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing (1)
3. Fornander's Ancient History of the Hawaiian People Abraham Fornander, Mutual Publishing
4. Hawaiian Journey Joseph Mullins, Mutual Publishing (3)
5. Shark Bites: True Tales of Hawai'i Greg Ambrose, Bess Press
6. Hawaii This 'N That LaRue W. Piercy, Mutual Publishing
7. Obake - Ghost Stories in Hawaii Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing (4)
8. Hawaiian Names English Names Eileen Root, Press Pacifica (6)
9. Pele - Goddess of Hawaiian Volcanoes Herb Kane, Kane Press (7)
10. Honolulu Mysteries Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing (5)
2. Hawaiian Dictionary (revised) Mary Pukui and Samuel Elbert, University of Hawai'i Press
3. Growing Native Hawaiian Plants Heidi Bornhorst, Bess Press
4. Ghost Fleet: The Sunken Ships of Bikini Atoll James Delgado, University of Hawai'i Press
5. The Food of Paradise: Exploring Hawaii's Culinary Heritage Rachel Laudan, University of Hawai'i Press
6. Pearl Harbor: The Way It Was Scott C.S. Stone, Island Heritage
7. A Hawaiian Florilegium: Botanical Portraits from Paradise Mary Grierson and Peter Green, University of Hawai'i Press
8. Tropical Trees of Hawaii Dorothy & Bob Hargreaves, Island Heritage (6)
9. Hawaii's Birds Hawaii Audubon Society, Hawaiian Service (5)
10. Handy Hawaiian Dictionary Compiled by Henry P. Judd, Mary Kawena Pukui and John F.G. Stokes, Mutual Publishing (1)