Hawaii's literary scene
READ ALL ABOUT IT
Friday, August 23, 1996
Shakespeare on Sunday presents "Troilus and Cressida," 7 p.m. Sunday at Barnes & Noble, Kahala.
Threads of time
Barbara Kawakami, author of "Immigrant Clothing in Hawaii, 1884-1944," shares the stories behind the clothes brought to Hawaii by picture brides of the era, 10 a.m. Monday at Hawaii Kai Library. Call 395-7149.
Congressman Neil Abercrombie promotes the political novel he co-wrote with Richard Hoyt, "Blood of Patriots," noon Saturday at Borders, Waikele.
"Success Made Easy" author Ron Martin talks about achieving success in personal and professional life, noon Saturday at Waldenbooks, Windward Mall.
Topics of discussion
The Asian-Pacific Reading Group discusses Banana Yoshimoto's "Kitchen," 7 p.m. Monday at Barnes & Noble, Kahala.
Clinical psychologist William F. Whisenant explains the benefits of a clearer understanding of the mind-body connection, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Barnes & Noble, Kahala. How you can heal yourself is covered in his book "Psychological Kinesiology: Changing the Body's Beliefs."
Edward C. Raymer, chief diver of salvage operations after the attack on Pearl Harbor, describes the near-impossible task of rescuing people trapped in sinking ships, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 29 at Barnes & Noble, Kahala. The retired Navy commander is author of "Descent Into Darkness."
The Maui Writers Conference will host John Saul, Jackie Collins, Sue Grafton, Ann Rule, Dan Millman and other best-selling authors Aug. 30 through Sept. 2 at the Grand Wailea Resort.
Saul will conduct a fiction workshop using the Top 10 manuscripts submitted for critique.
Among conference participants will be more than 30 agents and publishers. Registration is $425 through July 15; $495 after. For a free brochure, write to: MWC, P.O. Box 968, Kihei 96753. Or call 879-0061, Maui. The MWC website is http://www.maui.com/~sbdc/writers/. E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Read All About It presents news in brief from Hawaii's literary scene. Send items - at least two weeks in advance of publication date - to Read All About It, P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu, Hawaii 96802.
THIS listing of new books about Hawaii or by Hawaii writers is published on the last Friday of each month in the Star-Bulletin.
Friday, July 26, 1996
"Flight of the Golden Plover": Debbie S. Miller, $15.95, 32 pages, Alaska Northwest Books
Children's book about the shorebird with amazing stamina is illustrated by Hawaii artist Daniel Van Zyle. Miller observed plovers in Alaska and Hawaii.
"Manoa": $15, University of Hawai'i Press
Literary journal's Summer 1996 issue features writers from the Pacific coast of South America, a centuries-old collection of Okinawan omoro (desire songs) and nature essays. Orders, 956-8833.
"Hawai'i Chronicles: Island History from the Pages of Honolulu Magazine": Edited by Bob Dye, $15.95, 281 pages, University of Hawai'i Press
These 29 articles from Honolulu magazine, published between 1979 and 1995, describe the WWII battle of Niihau, a neighborhood that was once a princess' garden and other stories of the islands.
"Infinity: A Journey Into the Light": Lois Dement, $12, Infinity Arts
Inspirational experiences of the author's father, a Big Island man who found his beliefs about life and death changing dramatically in his last few days.
"Big Dams and Other Dreams: The Six Companies Story": Donald E. Wolf, $, pages, University of Oklahoma Press
Account of a combine of firms, Six Companies, that undertook such monumental construction projects as the Hoover Dam and the Golden Gate Bridge. Wolf follows the lives of the executives, among them Henry Kaiser.
"The Shipmans of East Hawai'i": Emmett Cahill, $24.95, 296 pages, University of Hawai'i Press
History of one of Hawaii's best-known families,. The Shipmans' story involves efforts to save the nene from extinction, the introduction of the orchid industry and the development of agriculture in Hawaii.
LOCAL BEST SELLERS
June 1996 Favorites
1. The Goodnight Gecko Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (1)
2. Aloha Bear and the Meaning of Aloha Dick Adair, Island Heritage (7)
3. Adventures of Aloha Bear and Maui the Whale Mark A. Wagenman, Island Heritage
4. Three Whales Who Won the Heart of the World Suzanne Kita, Island Heritage (2)
5. Tales of Tutu Nene and Nele Gale Bates, Island Heritage
6. Fishes of Hawaii Susan and Thomas Kelly, Bess Press (5)
7. Keiki's First Books (series) Wren and Maile, Bess Press (4)
8. Muffin & the Lesson of Kokua Carmen Geshell, Island Heritage (3)
9. The Legend of the Laughing Gecko Bruce Hale, Geckostufs
10. The Story of Chinaman's Hat Dean Howell, Island Heritage
GIFT AND TRAVEL
1. From the Skies of Paradise (series) Glen Grant, Chris Cook, Tom Stevens and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing (9)
2. Hawaii The Big Island Glen Grant, Peter French and Greg Vaughn, Mutual Publishing
3. Viewbook (series) Douglas Peebles, Hawaiian Resources (1)
4. Hawaii Blossoms Dorothy and Bob Hargreaves, Island Heritage (2)
5. Islands of Hawaii Ray Helbig, Hawaiian Service (4)
6. Flowers of Aloha Allan Seiden, Island Heritage (7)
7. Flowers of Hawaii Allan Seiden, Island Heritage (10)
8. Maui, The Valley Isle Allan Seiden, Island Heritage
9. Kauai, The Garden Island Allan Seiden, Island Heritage (8)
10. Tiny Treasures Mary Koski, Island Heritage
1. Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen Lydia Liliuokalani, Mutual Publishing (6)
2. Journey From Hell Vinny Marino, Habilitat
3. Myths and Legends of Hawaii W.D. Westervelt, Mutual Publishing (4)
4. The Betrayal of Liliuokalani Helena G. Allen, Mutual Publishing
5. Legends and Myths of Hawaii David Kalakaua, Mutual Publishing (2)
6. All I Asking for Is My Body Milton Murayama, University of Hawai'i Press (8)
7. A Hawaiian Reader edited by A. Grove Day and Carl Stroven, Mutual Publishing (10)
8. Horror in Paradise edited by A. Grove Day and Bacil Kirtley, Mutual Publishing
9. Mark Twain in Hawaii Mark Twain, Mutual Publishing (7)
10. Hawaiian Mythology Martha Beckwith, University of Hawai'i Press (1)
1. Hawaiian Journey Joseph Mullins, Mutual Publishing (2)
2. Hawaiian Names English Names Eileen Root, Press Pacifica (4)
3. Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands Gavan Daws, University of Hawai'i Press (1)
4. Na Mele O Hawaii Nei Samuel Elbert and Noelani Mahoe, University of Hawai'i Press (5)
5. Pele - Goddess of Hawaiian Volcanoes Herb Kane, Kane Press (9)
6. Honolulu Mysteries Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing
7. The Price of Paradise, Volume II edited by Randall W. Roth, Mutual Publishing
8. To Steal a Kingdom Michael Dougherty, Island Style Press
9. Stepping Into Time Jeannette Murray Peek, Mutual Publishing
1. Hawaii's Birds Hawaii Audubon Society, Hawaiian Service (6)
2. Pearl Harbor: The Way It Was Scott C.S. Stone, Island Heritage (7)
3. New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary Mary Pukui and Samuel Elbert, University of Hawai'i Press (2)
4. Atlas of Hawaii O.A. Bushnell, Gavan Daws and Andrew Berger, Island Heritage (8)
5. Hawaii's Fishes: A Guide for Snorkelers, Divers and Aquarists John Hoover, Mutual Publishing
6. (tie) Exotic Tropicals of Hawaii Angela Kay Kepler and Jacob R. Mau, Mutual Publishing
6. (tie) Trees of Hawaii Angela Kay Kepler, University of Hawai'i Press (10)
8. Tropical Trees of Hawaii Dorothy & Bob Hargreaves, Island Heritage (3)
9. Hawaiian Dictionary (revised) Mary Pukui and Samuel Elbert, University of Hawai'i Press
10. The Backpackers Guide to Hawaii Stewart Ball, University of Hawai'i Press (1)
These are best-selling books in Hawaii during April 1996. Figures are courtesy of the Hawaii Book Publishers Association and Book-lines distributors, and reflect sales by Hawaii-based publishers. A star () denotes a title that has been on the market at least five years or more; a number in parenthesis indicates a title's previous ranking.
Write to Features, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu, HI 96802 or send a fax to 523-8509 or E-mail at email@example.com. Please include your phone number.