Kokua Line

By Hildegaard Verploegen

Saturday, August 10, 1996

HECO usually restores power
free after a fire

QUESTION: We need some information about restoring power to our home after a fire.

My sisters' families and mine live together and share in the payment for home insurance.

Most of us were not home when the fire started by an electric circuit.

Fortunately, firefighters came and neighbors helped.

Have we the right to claim for our damaged microwave, television sets, videocassette recorders, and other appliances ?

Is it true that we, the homeowners, provide the materials for the reinstallation of the power lines, and that Hawaiian Electric Co. will provide the reinstallment service?

ANSWER: Generally, if the existing electrical service is an overhead service line feed, Hawaiian Electric will reinstall it at no cost to the customer, said Jane Inouye, spokeswoman for the company.

That is only after an inspection and approval by the city.

There would be a charge if the customer wants to switch to an underground line, Inouye said.

Generally, that charge would be the additional amount needed for the underground line, or what would be the difference between the overhead and the underground line.

The materials needed for the work would be provided by Hawaiian Electric or a contractor doing the job.

The homeowner does not provide the material.

Whether you can claim for the destruction of your appliances depends on the terms of your policy and your coverage for the contents of your home.

For specific answers to your questions, call Hawaiian Electric's customer assistance center at 548-7311.

More Kokua Line
in today's Star-Bulletin:

Need help with problems? Call Kokua Line at 525-8686, fax 525-6711, or write to P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu 96802. Email to kokualine@starbulletin.com

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Community] [Info] [Stylebook] [Feedback]