Meet Dan Van Zyle, illustrator of the new children's book "Flight of the Golden Plover," noon Saturday at Borders, Ward Centre.
The biennial competition was established in 1980 in memory of Lorin Tarr Gill by her family. It is open to all writers.
Bell's "A Thousand Deaths" won for best fiction; Durbin's "Katherine Dunham: Between the Heartland and Haiti," for best nonfiction; and Catanzariti's "Walking Through Rice Fields," for best poetry.
The second- and third-place winners in each category are, respectively: Shelagh Kresser and Ali Hosseini, fiction; Margaret Pai and Nicole Hayes, nonfiction; and E. Shan Correa and Judith Dos Santos, poetry.
Novel tells the story of the middle son of a Japanese plantation worker in 1950s Maui, and of the family ties and expectations that bind and support him. The story revolves around Spencer's guilty secret, kept with his younger brother, William, about their older brother's death in childhood.
This first novel made its debut at the 1994 Maui Writers Conference, where it took the grand prize.
Biography of Hawaii's first female territorial senator, a woman who worked for improvements in education, health and social equality for Asian Americans and who served as the territorial Senate's conscience on women's and children's issues.
The book, by a UH professor of American studies, also looks into the historical development of Kauai and the state.
The preserved bones of Kamehameha are the key to two linked stories in this science -fiction novel of genetic engineering, space exploration and the growing political activism of Hawaiians.
Goonan's first science fiction novel, "Queen City Jazz," was dubbed the New York Times Notable Book of the Year in 1994.
Puzzles and games teach children about Big Island places and wildlife as well as science, ecology and history. Illustration by Barbara Downs. (Answers provided.)
Revised second edition of guide to hikes on the Valley Isle, from strolls to many-day backpacking trips. Each hike is prefaced by a chart estimating time, distance and elevation gain and is described in detail.
Morey has also written trail guides for Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island.
Novel follows a group of people, Americans and Vietnamese, in wartime Vietnam, 1962-1975. It explores the twists and turns of wars of liberation - particularly from the perspective of American civilians who fought for the ideals of freedom and democracy.
For his first novel, Hall, a writer in the Honolulu mayor's office, drew upon his experiences in Vietnam as a foreign service officer. Hall includes his analysis of the war and prefaces each chapter with quotes from people and songs of the time.
Short stories on the fate of a ka'ai seeker, a man who fears skin cancer, a fired employee and others capture the "grotesque comedy" of life in Hawaii.
2. Three Whales Who Won the Heart of the World Suzanne Kita, Island Heritage (1)
3. Gecko Hide and Seek Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (4)
4. Aloha Bear and the Meaning of Aloha Dick Adair, Island Heritage (7)
5. Adventures of Aloha Bear and Maui the Whale Mark A. Wagenman, Island Heritage (6)
6. The Whale Who Wanted to Be Small Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading (9)
7. Native Animals of Hawaii Patrick Ching, Bess Press (5)
8. Fishes of Hawaii Susan and Thomas Kelly, Bess Press (10)
9. The Whale's Tale Gil McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading H
10. The Legend of the Laughing Gecko Bruce Hale, Geckostufs (8)
2. Viewbook (series) Douglas Peebles, Hawaiian Resources (3)
3. From the Skies of Paradise (series) Glen Grant, Chris Cook, Tom Stevens and Douglas Peebles, Mutual Publishing (5)
4. Maui on My Mind Rita Ariyoshi, Mutual Publishing (1)
5. Islands of Hawaii Ray Helbig, Hawaiian Service (4)
6. Maui's Hana Highway Angela Kay Kepler, Mutual Publishing
7. Hawaii Blossoms Dorothy and Bob Hargreaves, Island Heritage (6)
8. Kauai, The Garden Island Allan Seiden, Island Heritage (8)
9. Flowers of Hawaii Allan Seiden, Island Heritage
10. The Essential Guide to Maui Island Heritage (10)
2. Legends and Myths of Hawaii David Kalakaua, Mutual Publishing H (3)
3. Myths and Legends of Hawaii W.D. Westervelt, Mutual Publishing H (7)
4. Mark Twain in Hawaii Mark Twain, Mutual Publishing H (8)
5. The Betrayal of Liliuokalani Helena G. Allen, Mutual Publishing H
6. Mark Twain's Letters From Hawaii Mark Twain, University of Hawai'i Press H
7. Stories of Hawaii Jack London, Mutual Publishing H (9)
8. Hawaiian Mythology Martha Beckwith, University of Hawai'i Press
9. A Hawaiian Reader edited by A. Grove Day and Carl Stroven, Mutual Publishing H (5)
10. South Sea Tales Jack London, Mutual Publishing
2. Hawaiian Journey Joseph Mullins, Mutual Publishing (3)
3. Memories of Duke: The Legend Comes to Life Sandra Kimberley Hall and Greg Ambrose, Bess Press
4. Honolulu Mysteries Glen Grant, Mutual Publishing (1)
5. Hawaiian Names English Names Eileen Root, Press Pacifica
6. Pele - Goddess of Hawaiian Volcanoes Herb Kane, Kane Press
7. Hawaii: Truth Stranger Than Fiction LaRue W. Piercy, Mutual Publishing (5)
8. Na Mele O Hawaii Nei Samuel Elbert and Noelani Mahoe, University of Hawai'i Press (8)
9. Hawaii This 'N That LaRue W. Piercy, Mutual Publishing (4)
10. Big Island History Makers LaRue W. Piercy, Mutual Publishing
2. Chamorro-English Dictionary Donald Topping, Pedro Ogo and Bernadita Dungea, University of Hawai'i Press
3. Handy Hawaiian Dictionary Compiled by Henry P. Judd, Mary Kawena Pukui and John F.G. Stokes, Mutual Publishing
4. Hawaii's Birds Hawaii Audubon Society, Hawaiian Service (7)
5. Hawaii's Fishes: A Guide for Snorkelers, Divers and Aquarists John Hoover, Mutual Publishing (5)
6. Exotic Tropicals of Hawaii Angela Kay Kepler and Jacob R. Mau, Mutual Publishing
7. Pearl Harbor: The Way It Was Scott C.S. Stone, Island Heritage (8)
8. Atlas of Hawaii O.A. Bushnell, Gavan Daws and Andrew Berger, Island Heritage (9)
9. Maui's Floral Splendor Angela Kay Kepler, Mutual Publishing
10. New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary Mary Pukui and Samuel Elbert, University of Hawai'i Press (2)