Charlie Byrd is a featured performer for the guitar festival. Ledward Kaapana will add an island touch.
Byrd lovers, take note: Charlie will fly high in festival
The fourth annual Hawai'i Guitar Festival will run June 8-21 with workshops and concerts by such performers as Charlie Byrd, Carlos Barbosa-Lima, Ledward Kaapana and Cyril Pahinui.
Among the highlights of the festival:
The festival is presented by the UH Summer Session.
- Charlie Byrd will play June 12 at Indigo restaurant. The first seating will begin with dinner at 6 p.m., followed by the performance at 7:30 p.m. The second seating will begin at 8:30 p.m. with the performance at 10 p.m. Cost for dinner and show is $50. Information: 956-7221.
- Barbosa-Lima will perform July 10 at the restaurant. The seatings and prices are the same as for the Byrd performance. Information: 956-7221.
- Kaapana and Pahinui will perform June 8; Barbosa-Lima and festival artistic directory Byron Yasui will perform June 14; Byrd and Yasui, June 15; all at 8 p.m. at Orvis Auditorium on the University of Hawaii-Manoa campus. Tickets are $12, $10 for students and seniors. Information and reservations: 956-3836.
- Byrd, Barbosa-Lima and Yasui will perform June 16 at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center, June 19 at Kauai Community College Theatre and June 21 at the UH-Hilo Theatre. Tickets are $12, $10 for students and seniors. Information: Maui, 242-7469; Kauai, 245-8270; Hilo, 933-3310.
- Workshops will be conducted by Kaapana on June 8; Byrd on June 14; and Barbosa-Lima on June 15. Information: 956-7221 or 800-862-6628.