Charges dropped against suspect in rape of teen
The city prosecutor's office dropped all charges yesterday against Ikaika K. Stone, a 24-year-old man accused of kidnapping and raping a 16-year-old girl at Kaimuki High School on Aug. 1.
Stone was scheduled for a preliminary hearing yesterday, but the charges were dismissed without prejudice, allowing the prosecutor's office up to three years to re-indict him. He had been charged Friday with kidnapping and three counts each of first- and third-degree sexual assault.
Stone is also free while awaiting a Sept. 22 trial in a 2007 assault case.
Jim Fulton, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office, would not comment specifically on the reasons for dropping the charges, but said before prosecutors can take a case to trial, they must have enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
Dropping the charges "doesn't mean we don't believe the victim," Fulton said. "It's all about evidence. It's not an unusual situation."
The girl was driving to a convenience store July 31 to get change to do laundry at a nearby Date Street apartment building when she got into a collision with a pickup truck driven by Stone, according to a police affidavit filed last week.
Stone allegedly told her she would have to find a way to pay for the damage to his truck and would have to have sex with him.
He then drove her in her car to the apartment building and ordered her into his truck, police said. The girl shook her head and said no but complied, fearing Stone might hurt her. Stone allegedly took her to a field at the back of Kaimuki High School on Date Street and allegedly raped her.
"The case remains an open investigation," police spokeswoman Michelle Yu said.
She would not say whether police are actively looking for a second suspect.