Kauai plans to pick interim mayor
LIHUE » The Kauai County Council announced yesterday that it will meet Monday morning to select one of their own as interim mayor.
As per the Kauai County Charter, the council must select one member, by majority vote, to serve as mayor until an election can be held in November.
Council officials announced last week that it would hold the meeting to select Mayor Bryan Baptiste's successor after his memorial on Sunday. Baptiste, 52, died on June 22, just more than a week after undergoing heart surgery.
For the memorial, which will be held at Kauai War Memorial Convention Hall, the county has planned for special buses from Kekaha and Hanalei and will provide free shuttle service to and from Vidinha Stadium.
Visitation is scheduled from 9 to 11 a.m., with a celebration of Baptiste's life to follow.
City campaign to honor retirees
Mayor Mufi Hannemann announced a new initiative yesterday aimed at changing the perception of Oahu's retirees by honoring them at an awards ceremony in October.
The campaign, called "Honolulu Forever Young," will honor six persons 65 years old and older based on their career successes, community service, dedication to staying healthy in their old age and mentoring for the younger generation.
"Why should we dread hitting that 55-year age point?" said Debbie Kim Morikawa, director of the city's Department of Community Services. "It doesn't mean anything anymore. Most people who are active and engaged don't even think of their age and there's so many people out there we should be highlighting."
The city received donations totaling $30,000 from several local organizations, including American International Group Hawaii and Hawaii Medical Assurance Association to fund the initiative. The Honolulu Star-Bulletin and MidWeek are also sponsors.
The city will be accepting nominations until Aug. 1. Nominees must be at least 65 years old. Winners will be selected by a nomination panel appointed by Hannemann and will be honored at a luncheon on Oct. 7 at the Hawaii Prince Hotel. For more information and to download an application, visit www.honoluluforeveryoung.org or call 768-7760.
H-1 repairs scheduled for tonight
Three right-hand lanes on the H-1 Freeway eastbound at the Kaamilo Street overpass will be closed for four hours, starting at 10 tonight.
Workers will repair and perform maintenance on overhead signs, and motorists are advised to drive carefully and allow for extra time.
Lawsuit against OHA dismissed
A federal judge yesterday dismissed the latest lawsuit challenging the Office of Hawaiian Affairs as racially discriminatory.
The lawsuit, filed in April, sought to halt state funding for OHA and to prevent OHA from spending the money to support the Akaka Bill pending in Congress.
U.S. District Judge J. Michael Seabright found that the lawsuit makes the same claims as one rejected in 2006 by the U.S. Supreme Court.
Attorney H. William Burgess filed the April lawsuit on behalf of six non-Hawaiian residents. He was also the attorney in the previous lawsuit and other legal challenges to OHA.
Police, Fire, Courts
Man, 22, arrested in 2 stabbings
Police arrested a 22-year-old man early today for allegedly using a knife on two men in separate incidents. Shortly before midnight, the suspect stabbed a 25-year-old man during an argument on Middle Street, police said.
The suspect then went to nearby Kamehameha IV Road, where he got into a fight with a separate group of men and allegedly slashed a 26-year-old man. The victims do not know each other, nor do they know the suspect, police said.
Neither victim suffered life-threatening injuries, police said.
The suspect was arrested shortly after midnight on suspicion of first-degree assault, attempted second-degree murder and first-degree terroristic threatening.
Police seek man last seen at Ward
Police are asking for help in finding a 34-year-old mentally challenged man who was last seen at 5 p.m. Saturday at Dave and Buster's Restaurant in the Ward Entertainment Center.
Douglas K. Inouye lives at a Wahiawa care home.
He is 5 feet 4 inches tall, 145 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a black and blue jacket, gray silk shirt, navy blue shorts and had a blue Jansport backpack.
Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or *CRIME on a cell phone.
Wahiawa man found in Haleiwa
A 31-year-old mentally challenged Wahiawa man, missing since Saturday, was found yesterday morning in Haleiwa.
Police and CrimeStoppers thanked the public yesterday for their help in finding Latsamy Douangphouxia, who has epilepsy and needs medication.
Douangphouxia was found at about 8:30 a.m. yesterday and returned safely to his family, police said.
Rain is welcome in halting wildfire
Timely rain contained a wildfire in the hills behind Laie Monday night. Fire crews were called about 8:15 p.m. by residents who reported the fire. Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig said smoke was coming from a remote area.
Residents offered the use of all-terrain vehicles to help bring firefighters closer to the source of the smoke. But then it started raining. The fire was declared contained by 11:30 Monday night. Fire crews were expected to assess the situation today.
Standoff in Kunia ends peacefully
An almost 19-hour standoff with police ended peacefully yesterday when a 23-year-old man surrendered.
At 4:30 Monday afternoon, police received a call about a distraught man at the Villas at Royal Kunia on Hanauna Street.
When police arrived, the man threatened to hurt himself, said police spokesman Maj. Frank Fujii. Fujii said the man had two handguns, one of which was not registered.
Police evacuated 14 housing units in the immediate area before closing the street.
Police Maj. Alan Bluemke said about 60 officers — including the Specialized Services Division and crisis negotiators — stayed at the scene until yesterday morning.
Negotiations ended at about 10:45 a.m. and the man surrendered. Police cleared the area at 11:20 a.m. The man was sent to Tripler Army Medical Center for an evaluation.