Hawaii beaches among nation’s best
Two Hawaii beaches made the top 10 beaches list for 2008.
Hanalei Beach on the North Shore of Kauai came in at No. 2 while Hamoa Beach on the eastern end of Maui south of Hana came in at No. 7.
The best beach this year is Caladesi Island on the Gulf of Mexico side of Florida near Tampa Bay. The list is compiled annually by Florida International University professor Stephen P. Leatherman, commonly known as Dr. Beach.
DR. BEACH'S BEST U.S. BEACHES:
1. Caladesi Island, Fla.
2. Hanalei Beach, Hawaii
3. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Fla.
4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, N.Y.
5. Coronado Beach, San Diego
6. Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
7. Hamoa Beach, Hawaii
8. Cape Hatteras, N.C.
9. Cape Florida State Park, Miami
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.