2 more arrests in break-in
Four people have now been apprehended in a home invasion in Mililani on March 7
Two more people were involved in the home invasion robbery at former Honolulu City Councilman Toraki Matsumoto's Mililani residence this month, according to court documents from Honolulu police.
Matthew M. Ako III and Keo Aiwohi are charged with robbery and other crimes in connection with the March 7 incident.
Police arrested two other suspects, Roxanne Garcia and Sun Kai Pangorang, on unrelated charges Thursday. However, city prosecutors charged both of them yesterday with crimes in connection with the home invasion. They remain in custody on $75,000 bail each and are scheduled to appear for arraignment in state court Thursday.
Ako, 37, pleaded not guilty to first-degree burglary, second-degree robbery and driving a stolen car in state court yesterday. His trial is scheduled for the week of May 27. He remains in custody at Oahu Community Correctional Center in lieu of $200,000 bail.
Aiwohi, 29, made his initial court appearance for first-degree burglary and second-degree robbery yesterday in Honolulu District Court. He remains in custody in lieu of $111,000 bail.
Honolulu Deputy Prosecutor Scott Spallina, head of the Elder Abuse Justice unit, said in court last week that Ako admitted to breaking in and burglarizing the Matsumotos' home and driving off with their car. However, Ako claims it was somebody else who restrained Matsumoto's 79-year-old wife, Yaeko. Matsumoto was not home at the time.
Ako told police Aiwohi held down Yaeko Matsumoto by placing his foot on her chest area while he and two other people ransacked the home, according to court documents. Police said the robbers took jewelry, deeds, passports, money and a small safe from the home.
Yaeko Matsumoto suffered broken ribs and a collapsed lung in the robbery.
She told police she received a telephone call from a neighbor asking her whether there were workmen in her garage. As she approached the door to the garage to check, she said, she was surprised by a male who knocked her down and started choking her. She told police she was able to crawl away into the nearby bathroom.
The Matsumotos' home was broken into twice within weeks of the March 7 robbery.
They reported to police a male entered their home Feb. 16 and fled after they confronted him. And they reported that house keys, car keys, a garage door opener and a checkbook were taken from their home March 3.