Judge jails convicted killer for life plus more
Patrick Lorenzo must serve 50 years before he could be paroled
STORY SUMMARY »
Circuit Judge Karl Sakamoto had seen the perpetrator before.
Sakamoto had allowed Patrick Lorenzo to stay out of jail in 2006 to complete a drug treatment program. That was after Lorenzo pleaded guilty to drug charges and operating a vehicle while under the influence.
While out on bail in that case last year, Lorenzo shot and killed an off-duty deputy sheriff at a Kapiolani Boulevard sushi bar and lounge.
Yesterday, Sakamoto sentenced Lorenzo, 33, to life in prison -- plus 130 years, with no possibility of parole for at least 50 years for attempting to rob the bar and killing Daniel Browne-Sanchez.
"The court is not going to risk another life with this sentence," Sakamoto said yesterday.
FULL STORY »
The man who shot and killed an off-duty state deputy sheriff at a Kapiolani Boulevard sushi bar and lounge was sentenced yesterday to life plus 130 years in prison.
Patrick Lorenzo, 33, must serve at least 50 years behind bars before he is eligible for parole.
Circuit Judge Karl Sakamoto imposed the lengthy prison sentence by stringing together the maximum prison terms allowed for Lorenzo's crimes rather than having him serve the sentences at the same time.
A jury found Lorenzo guilty last November of second-degree murder, reckless endangering, three counts of kidnapping, three counts of using a firearm to commit a felony, two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm and possessing a silencer.
Sakamoto said Lorenzo is a dangerous person and that he cannot be assured that Lorenzo will ever be able to return to the community.
"The court is not going to risk another life with this sentence," Sakamoto said.
Lorenzo was free on bail in a previous criminal case when he shot and killed Daniel Browne-Sanchez. Sakamoto was the judge who allowed him to remain free on bail to complete a drug treatment program.
Lorenzo chose not to make a statement at his sentencing.
After the hearing, his lawyer, Walter Rodby, said his client would appeal his convictions and sentence.
Rodby says the same principle that requires juries rather than judges to determine whether convicted felons are eligible for extended prison terms should also apply to multiple sentences back-to-back.
State lawmakers changed Hawaii sentencing laws last year to require juries to determine a convicted felon's eligibility for extended sentences to conform with recent U.S. and Hawaii Supreme Court rulings and orders. Previously, judges made that determination.
"If somebody's going to get a consecutive sentence, we're arguing that the jury should make that decision also," Rodby said.
The same jurors who convicted Lorenzo could not agree that he is such a danger to the community that he was eligible for extended prison sentences.
Deputy City Prosecutor Scott Bell said he is confident back-to-back or consecutive sentences are legal.
An off-duty deputy, Browne-Sanchez, 27, was working as a bar back at the former Osake Sushi Bar & Lounge on Feb. 10 last year when Lorenzo fired a shot at one employee and shot Browne-Sanchez several times as the off-duty deputy tried to subdue him.
Robina Browne described her son yesterday as someone who just wanted to help people. She told Lorenzo she cannot forgive him for killing her son.
"Because you have been given your life, and because you took Daniel's life, you are responsible. I hold you responsible to continue his legacy of good will and helping others," she said in court.
Former Osake co-workers, friends and about a dozen deputy sheriffs filled the courtroom yesterday.
"We're very happy that the judge made the right decision," said Sheriff Lt. Mike Oakland. "I can tell you that not a day goes by that not one of us still miss him."