MANOA YOGA CENTER
April Lee shows the first stage of Reclined Big Toe Pose 3.
Supta Padangusthasana 3
Reclined Big Toe Pose -- Stage 1
» This is the third variation of the Supta Padangusthasana cycle. In this variation, the buttocks, hamstrings and hips are stretched. Stiffness in these areas is removed with regular practice. Those suffering from sciatica will gain relief. You will need a firm pillow or folded blankets.
1. Lie on the floor with the pillow under the back.
2. Bend the knees, bringing the feet together, and place the feet close to the buttocks.
3. Lift the right leg and cross the right ankle over the left thigh.
4. Scoop the arms under the right shin and join the palms.
5. As you breathe quietly, work to bring the shin closer to the chest as you lean back against the pillow. Keep the hips even and do not let the chest or shoulders twist or distort.
6. Hold for up to 30 seconds and repeat several times to both sides.
and Shelley Choy
are certified Iyengar Yoga teachers and co-direct the Manoa Yoga Center at Manoa Marketplace. Visit www.manoayoga.com
or call 382-3910. Manoa Yoga Center, the authors and the Star-Bulletin take no responsibility for any injury arising from the practice of these yoga postures. Readers should seek a doctor's approval before commencing this yoga practice.