FL MORRIS / FMORRIS@STARBULLETIN.COM
This 3-foot-long iguana, captured in Waimanalo yesterday, was on display at the state Department of Agriculture plant quarantine branch in Kalihi Kai.
Iguana caught in Waimanalo
A 3-foot-long iguana was caught in Waimanalo yesterday.
The lizard was turned in to Kailua police by an unidentified person who reported seeing it at the side of the road.
An illegal alien species under Hawaii law, the iguana will be held in quarantine by the state Department of Agriculture. It will be shipped by the Honolulu Zoo to a Florida reptile farm, according to a state spokeswoman.
Iguanas that have been imported illegally and released are believed to be established in some areas on Oahu, according to an Agriculture Department release. They are native to Central and South America. They usually eat vegetables and fruit but are also known to disturb bird nests and feed on eggs.
People who import or possess illegal animals are subject to stiff penalties including fines up to $200,000 and imprisonment. People are offered immunity from prosecution under the state's amnesty program. No questions will be asked if illegal animals are turned in to any Department of Agriculture office, municipal zoo or humane society.
Husband indicted in wife's death
An Oahu grand jury indicted a 40-year-old Kalihi man yesterday on a charge of killing his wife Jan. 9.
Roy William Hartsock, a convicted felon with 27 convictions, was indicted on a charge of second-degree murder for allegedly stabbing his wife.
His wife, Jenny T. Hartsock, died on the walkway in front of their next-door neighbor's apartment.
After the stabbing, Hartsock reported to a fire station in Kalihi that his wife had been stabbed, and told individuals that five men armed with guns stabbed her.
Red Mass set for isle leaders
Gov. Linda Lingle and other federal, state and county government officials are expected to attend the Red Mass tomorrow at Our Lady of Peace Cathedral in downtown Honolulu.
Catholic Bishop Larry Silva will preside at the 9 a.m. service traditionally held at the beginning of the annual session of the state Legislature and is modeled after the Red Mass held in Washington, D.C. It is the Catholic Church's public prayer to the Holy Spirit for wisdom and guidance for civic leaders. It gets its name from the red vestments worn at a Mass of the Holy Spirit.
Rwandan genocide survivor Immaculee Ilibagiza will be the guest speaker.
Police, Fire, Courts
Intruder sparks alert at dormitory
The University of Hawaii sent out a security alert yesterday afternoon warning that a man in his early 20s entered a shower stall while a woman was showering at a co-ed East-West Center dormitory Monday evening.
The alert said the incident was reported at the Hale Manoa residence hall.
According to Doug Lamerson, assistant administrator for support services at the East-West Center, the foreign female student, who is about 30 years old, said she asked, "What are you doing here?" or words to that effect, and the man left.
But the alert said the man fled when she screamed. The man is described as 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a fair complexion, an average build, and having straight, black, neck-length hair.
The dorm is near the scene of an incident Nov. 30 when a man entered a UH dorm -- Hale Kahawai residence hall -- where a female student was showering and took photos with his cell phone. After that incident, the university had locks installed on women's bathroom doors in dormitories.
In this case, a report was filed with campus security, but the woman did not want police involved.
After a series of UH dorm incidents in November, the East-West Center had planned to install electronic hotel-style locks with card keys. Anyone with information on the suspect is asked to call UH Campus Security at 956-8211.
Man arrested after scuffle with police
Police arrested a homeless man who allegedly punched two police officers in Waikiki early yesterday.
About 1:15 a.m., two officers confronted the suspect, who was sleeping on a sidewalk fronting 151 Kapahulu Ave. As they prepared to issue a citation, the suspect became uncooperative and aggressive, and punched both officers, police said.
The suspect was arrested on suspicion of two counts of first-degree assault on a law enforcement officer. Both officers and the suspect were treated at the Queen's Medical Center for minor injuries as a result of the struggle.
Man dies after arrest attempt
A 38-year-old man died last night after a confrontation with police at a service station at King and Punahou streets.
Police officers went to the service station before 7:35 a.m. yesterday following a report of suspicious circumstances. Police said the man appeared to be sleeping behind the wheel of a car stolen from a car rental agency.
He awoke and became combative, a struggle followed and when officers handcuffed the man, he became unresponsive, police said.
The officers performed CPR and used a defibrillator. He was taken to an area hospital in critical condition and later died, police said.
Police said they discovered evidence inside the car that revealed he apparently had a heart condition. Officers also recovered methamphetamine and a pipe in the car.
Popping sounds alert couple to fire
An elderly couple and a family dog escaped a fire in their Wahiawa home early yesterday when they heard the sound of popping electrical lines, according to a fire official.
Firefighters were called to 61 Ohai St. at 3:23 a.m. The fire was extinguished at 4:06 a.m., but not before causing extensive heat and smoke damage to one bedroom, said fire spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig.
Damage is estimated at $230,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents. The couple, who are in their 70s, awoke to the sound of popping electrical lines and their electricity going out, Seelig said.
The fire investigator determined the fire was accidentally caused by arcing of an electrical power line that ran under the house.
Fire officials said the fire apparently started when sagging, termite-eaten floor beams pinched the electrical line, causing the arcing. The arcing generated enough heat to ignite the wooden beams, burning through a bedroom floor and spreading into the house.
The home, built in 1941, did not have a smoke alarm, and there were no injuries.
Red Cross assisted the couple.
Electrical problem causes home blaze
A malfunctioning electrical power strip plugged into an extension cord caused a house fire in Hauula on Friday, according to a fire investigator.
Fire officials said the fire began in the kitchen, where a microwave oven and chest freezer were plugged into the power strip, which was also plugged into an extension cord.
No one was home at the time of the fire at 54-012 Ahinalu Place. Damage is estimated at $50,000 to the house and $15,000 to the contents.