Murder suspect used alias
A man accused in a bar shooting gave his brother's name when stopped for a DUI
A man awaiting trial in the murder of an off-duty deputy sheriff apparently has been using the name of his brother, John Koa Lorenzo.
Patrick K. Lorenzo allegedly gave police the name of his older brother, John Lorenzo, when he was stopped by police for drunken driving on Feb. 10, 2005, near the onramp to the H-3 freeway from the Moanalua Freeway.
Patrick Lorenzo was indicted earlier this month in the Feb. 10 shooting death of Daniel Browne-Sanchez, an off-duty deputy sheriff who worked as a bar back at the Osake Sushi Bar and Lounge.
The indictment refers to him as John Koa Lorenzo Jr., also known as Patrick K. Lorenzo.
But in fact, his lawyers said yesterday, his real name is Patrick.
Despite the use of two names, prosecutors have no doubt they are prosecuting the right person in the murder of Browne-Sanchez.
After failing a field sobriety test in 2005, Patrick Lorenzo apparently acknowledged he gave the incorrect identity before his arrest for driving under the influence, saying, "Officer, I lied before -- my state ID is in my back pocket," he said, according to a police affidavit.
The officer retrieved a state ID from Patrick Lorenzo's shorts pocket which bore a mug of his likeness and the name Patrick Kealoha Lorenzo. The date of birth and Social Security number were different from the information he provided earlier to the officer.
As the officer examined the ID card, Lorenzo allegedly admitted he lied initially to the officer and apologized, saying, "I'm sorry, officer, I was giving you my brother's name and stuff in case you checked to see if I had a license."
Police reports generated by that arrest refer to Lorenzo as Patrick Lorenzo.
Defense attorney Walter Rodby, who was appointed to represent Lorenzo in the murder case, said his client's real name is Patrick Lorenzo.
To make matters worse, his client's brother John "has never been arrested before in his life," Rodby said, and noted John Lorenzo is angry about his brother's actions.
Rodby said he expects to bring the matter up the next time Patrick Lorenzo appears in court.
Yesterday, Circuit Judge Karl Sakamoto, who had last continued Lorenzo's sentencing in the 2005 DUI and drug cases to April 5, granted city Prosecutor Peter Carlisle's request to push up Lorenzo's sentencing and to have him held without bail until his new sentencing date of next Thursday.
Lorenzo had cited his participation in a drug treatment program in obtaining four prior continuances of his sentencing. Carlisle argued yesterday there is no legal reason why the sentencing should be delayed longer since Lorenzo cannot continue his drug treatment while in custody on the murder charge.
Lorenzo faces a mandatory jail term as a repeat offender when he is sentenced next week.
Prosecutors will argue for an extended term.