Bail raised in killing of deputy
John Koa Lorenzo is indicted on several charges
A judge increased bail to $5 million for a man accused of killing an off-duty deputy sheriff at a Kapiolani Boulevard nightclub and restaurant after his indictment yesterday.
A grand jury indicted John Koa Lorenzo Jr., 32, on charges of first-degree attempted murder for allegedly attempting to kill more than one person, second-degree murder, second-degree attempted murder, robbery and two counts of kidnapping.
He is also facing seven firearm violations including allegations of using a firearm while committing a felony, being a felon in possession of a firearm and possessing a silencer.
If convicted of first-degree attempted murder, Lorenzo could receive the state's maximum penalty of life in prison without parole.
Yesterday, city Prosecutor Peter Carlisle said prosecutors tried to put Lorenzo in prison last year for violating the terms of his bail while awaiting sentencing on drug promotion charges.
Lorenzo was free on $25,000 bail when he allegedly shot and killed off-duty state Deputy Sheriff Daniel Browne-Sanchez early Saturday in a botched robbery attempt. Browne-Sanchez was working at Osake Sushi Bar and Lounge as a bar back.
In addition to killing Browne-Sanchez, police said Lorenzo shot at but missed another Osake employee.
The court has scheduled Lorenzo's arraignment for Tuesday morning.
Circuit Judge Derrick Chan increased Lorenzo's bail to $5 million from $1 million. Deputy Prosecutor Scott Bell had asked Chan to revoke Lorenzo's bail, but Chan said that would require a separate hearing.
Lorenzo pleaded no contest to several drug charges and driving under the influence last July 24. Carlisle said Lorenzo faced certain jail time at his scheduled sentencing on Oct. 3. But Judge Karl Sakamoto pushed the sentencing back four times, the latest on Jan. 24, to allow Lorenzo to complete drug treatment, according to court records.
Carlisle has been a vocal critic of recent changes to state sentencing laws that allow people convicted of drug offenses to avoid prison in favor of drug treatment.
"Had this defendant been put in prison as requested by the state, there would have been a well-guarded wall between him and the victim of the killing," he said. "Treatment should not be offered to chronically drug-addicted repeat offenders who are facing automatic prison for their crimes."
Lorenzo's criminal history includes drug convictions in November 1994, March 1995 and March 1996.
Lorenzo's court-appointed attorney, Walter Rodby, said Sakamoto was well within the bounds of the law to allow Lorenzo to complete his drug treatment program.
Rodby said Lorenzo's family "gives their deepest condolences to the family of Deputy Browne-Sanchez."
Osake reopened last night after being closed since Saturday, but there were only a few customers at 7 p.m.
The general manager of the business declined to comment on the indictment.
Funeral services for Browne-Sanchez are scheduled for 10 a.m. Sunday at Borthwick Mortuary.