Preston Ingram, shown here in this undated photo, was taken to the Queen's Medical Center, where he underwent brain surgery last year after being attacked in Waikiki.
Teen attack suspect to be tried as adult
A teenager who is accused of inflicting permanent brain damage to a 49-year-old visitor last year is being prosecuted for first-degree assault as an adult.
Corey Childs was 17 when police said he punched Preston Ingram in the face on the sidewalk in front of the Food Pantry Store July 29. Ingram fell backward and hit his head on the sidewalk, knocking him unconscious, according to court documents.
Ingram, now 50, was taken to the Queen's Medical Center, where he underwent brain surgery, his wife, Barbara, said. She said her husband suffered permanent brain damage and is still recovering from the attack in a rehabilitation facility in his home state of Virginia.
"He'll probably never work his job again. He'll never drive again," Barbara Ingram said.
Witnesses told police that Childs confronted Ingram, who was with some co-workers, then punched him, according to court documents. Two witnesses told police that Childs appeared to be wearing brass knuckles when he struck Ingram.
Police arrested Childs near the Food Pantry Store Aug. 22, then released him to the custody of the state Family Court. According to the Honolulu Police Department's arrest log, Childs has no local address. He turned 18 last September.
Family Court Judge Frances Wong waived jurisdiction over Childs on Tuesday, allowing police to charge him as an adult yesterday. Police also charged Childs with two counts of driving a stolen car for incidents that occurred last April. His bail is $35,000. He was scheduled to make his first court appearance on the assault charge this morning.
Barbara Ingram said she is pleased Childs is being prosecuted as an adult to face stiffer penalties than if he were prosecuted under the juvenile justice system. But she said whatever punishment he receives will not equal the damage he inflicted.
"This boy will never suffer anywhere near what I suffered, what my husband suffered, what the family is suffering and what we're going through financially," she said.
Ingram said her husband arrived in Hawaii July 24 to do some work on a ship at Pearl Harbor. He works for diesel engine maker Fairbanks-Morse. She said her husband and his co-workers were supposed to be in Hawaii for only a week, then head to San Diego for some sea trials for another week and then head home.
She said her husband does not remember the attack or even being in Hawaii. But she said he knows he was assaulted and that people are trying to help him.