Majority of island hospitals emerge largely unscathed
The Kona hospital sustains damage, but other facilities step up to care for its patients
While one major hospital on the Big Island was damaged by yesterday's quakes, hospitals across the islands fared well and some stood ready to accept Big Island patients if necessary.
Oahu hospitals reported no damage to their facilities.
But patients at the Queen's Medical Center who had surgery scheduled for today were being told to reschedule, Queen's spokeswoman Rebecca Pollard said.
Pollard said the hospital made the decision to cancel the surgeries early yesterday morning in anticipation of receiving patients from the Big Island. But no patients had been flown in as of last night.
"We're willing and able to assist, but so far no word on when they may come in," Pollard said.
AARON NAGATA / SPECIAL TO THE STAR-BULLETIN
Kona Community Hospital staff members moved medical equipment following yesterday morning's earthquakes.
The hospital also turned away visitors to see patients not in an critical care,*
Pollard said, to ensure beds are free for Big Isle and emergency-care patients.
Kona Community Hospital sustained significant damage, and its patients were moved out, some to Hilo and some to a nearby conference center.
Cathy Tanaka, St. Francis Medical Center administrator, said the center is not canceling any procedures yet, but the administration will assess schedules to see whether it might be necessary today.
Pat Oda, communications director for the Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children and at Pali Momi, said the hospitals had a similar assessment of no damage, with all scheduled procedures ready to go today.
Oda said the Kapiolani centers are awaiting word on whether Big Isle patients need to be moved to the facilities.
"The staff is very well trained to handle this kind of situation," Oda said. "We're just awaiting word."
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
» On Sunday, the Queen's Medical Center turned away visitors to see patients who were not in critical care. A story on page A9 Monday incorrectly said the hospital turned away non-emergency patients.