Killings were 'execution style'
» Prosecutors say Adam Mau-Goffredo fatally shot three people in the head
» Prosecutor Carlisle wants the indicted man held without bail in the Tantalus slayings
A 23-year-old man charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of three people on Tantalus last week killed them "execution style with shots to the head," prosecutors said.
And because Adam Mau-Goffredo allegedly bound and taped a Round Top Drive couple and their housekeeper at gunpoint and stole the couple's car, city Prosecutor Peter Carlisle plans to ask the court to hold him without bail pending trial on the charges.
An Oahu grand jury indicted Mau-Goffredo yesterday on 18 counts, including first-degree murder, three counts each of second-degree murder and kidnapping, first-degree burglary and several firearm charges in the July 6 crimes.
Killed were taxicab driver Manh Nguyen, 50, who drove Mau-Goffredo up Tantalus, and Jason and Colleen Takamori, both 53, from Kapahulu, who had gone to the lookout to take pictures.
Nguyen and Colleen Takamori each died of a single gunshot to the head, according to the Honolulu Medical Examiner's Office. Jason Takamori died after sustaining two gunshots to the head.
Defense attorney Brook Hart said he had not seen the indictment or any reports on the case yet and declined comment.
"I think if that's what the evidence shows, then the community will learn in due course what the evidence was," he said.
He noted it is important that the public withhold judgment until all the facts come out.
"I don't think the case should be tried in the media," Hart said.
Hart noted that the Mau family extended their condolences and prayers to the Takamoris and Nguyens and apologies to Joseph and Francine Gedan and their housekeeper, Patti Denman, who were held at gunpoint in their home and tied up.
"The (Mau) family cares very much that the tragedy that occurred be addressed in a constructive way, which would be to get hospitalization and treatment for Mr. Mau and let the justice process work effectively."
Mau-Goffredo has a documented history of paranoid schizophrenia, and that likely will have a role in the defense's case, although it is too early to say how, Hart said.
Carlisle confirmed yesterday that he will handle the case with the assistance of at least three veteran prosecutors, two of whom assisted him in the state's worst multiple-murder case, in which Byran Uyesugi, a Xerox repairman, gunned down seven of his co-workers in 1999.
"I feel it's an appropriate case for me to try due to my experience and position," said Carlisle, who has prosecuted 11 cases so far in his career -- all successfully -- as the city's top prosecutor.
If convicted as charged, Mau-Goffredo faces life without parole, the state's harshest penalty.
Circuit Judge Derrick Chan granted the prosecutor's request yesterday to temporarily hold Mau-Goffredo without bail pending a hearing on Carlisle's request.
Since his arrest last week, Mau-Goffredo has been held at the Oahu Community Correctional Center in lieu of $25 million bail. He is expected to be arraigned in Circuit Court in the next week or so.
Service for Nguyen to be held Monday
Manh The Nguyen, 51, of Honolulu, a taxicab driver killed last Thursday in a shooting rampage at Tantalus Lookout, will be remembered in services at 9:30 a.m. Monday at Borthwick Mortuary. Call after 8:30 a.m.
He was born in Vietnam.
He is survived by wife Cynthia Lai, son Victor and daughter Christina. Cremation to follow.