Charges against accused rapist dropped
What ever happened to the two Japanese men who were accused of raping two Japanese women at a Waikiki hotel room and were later caught as one of them tried to catch a flight to Japan?
Answer: Taizo Kirihara, 23, and Goro Miki, 25, both of Japan, were charged with multiple counts of second-degree sexual assault involving two 19-year-old women they had been drinking with on Dec. 14.
Kirihara has been in custody since his arrest, unable to post $250,000 bail, and was set for trial this week. However, in an unexpected twist, Circuit Judge Virginia Crandall dismissed the charges against him on Tuesday after the court and the attorneys received a letter from the two victims saying they no longer wanted to prosecute. The women gave no reason for their about-face.
The charge was dismissed without prejudice, meaning the state could re-indict him if circumstances changed.
As for Miki, the court had issued a warrant for his arrest after he failed to show a second time at a hearing in March. He had to forfeit $250,000 cash that his family posted to ensure his appearance at trial.
His attorney, Victor Bakke, says he has no idea where his client is. Prosecutors have initiated paperwork to try and locate him in Japan, where he is believed to have returned to. The charge against him still remains.
It was the victims who had called police shortly after the assaults and reported the incident, which does not happen often, particularly with Japanese visitors, police have said.
This update was written by Star-Bulletin reporter Debra Barayuga.
Ever wonder what happened to a person, event or issue that has been in the news? We'll find out for you if you e-mail us at email@example.com
, call us at 529-4747 or write 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, 500 Ala Moana, Honolulu, HI 96813. "What Ever Happened to ..." runs Saturdays.