Dedicated to Sage Marichy
Marichyasana 1, Stage 1
In the first stage of this asana the spine is given a gentle twist. This stage is safe for pregnant women and helps relieve catches in the back and shoulders.
1. Sit on a blanket and extend your legs straight forward.
2. Bend your left knee and place your left foot close to the left buttock. Do not let the foot or knee turn in or out; keep the shin vertical to the floor.
3. Keep your right leg straight and roll your thigh in so the right knee and toes face the ceiling. Tighten your right knee and stretch the back of the leg, bringing it closer to the floor.
4. Now, as you inhale, lift the spine and with an exhalation bring your left elbow to the inside of the left knee. Swing your right hand behind the buttocks to the floor.
MANOA YOGA CENTER
A student demonstrates Marichyasana 1.
5. Take a few breaths, then with an inhalation, press the back of the right leg, buttock bones and left foot down. As you do so, press your right hand into the floor and lift the spine in and up. Do not slump.
6. As you exhale, press your left knee and left elbow together to rotate the belly and chest to the right. Continue to lift the spine with inhalations and twist with exhalations. With practice you will be able to bring your left ribs across the inside of the left thigh to bring your chest parallel to the wall you're facing.
While in the pose, coordinate your movements with breathing, without strain and with a calm, observant mind and steady body.
and Shelley Choy
are certified Iyengar Yoga teachers and co-direct the Manoa Yoga Center at Manoa Marketplace. Visit www.manoayoga.com
or call 382-3910. Manoa Yoga Center, the authors and the Star-Bulletin take no responsibility for any injury arising from the practice of these yoga postures. Readers should seek a doctor's approval before commencing this yoga practice.